Walking contraindication...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sort of agree with Brendon on this. What's wrong with having to adhere to a standard? If the standard(s) apply to skills, fitness, competence, not smoking, etc., then Instructors and DM's should meet those standards.

What's the alternative?....just lower the standard(s)?
"We don't mind if Mr. Smith is a chronic alchoholic and smokes crack recreationally.........he's so good with the students."

Disclaimer: I am not passing judgement....but if there is a standard....I believe it should be adhered to.
I have wondered the same thing that Brendon has.

Aren't students expected to adhere to the standards?

-Threads that have touched on this in the past have seemed to defend instructors that didn't meet standards, or couldn't walk the walk.
While at the same time, there are multiple threads that discuss the standards that apply to students......the lowering of them, which agencies have higher standards, etc.

It's not about being judgemental, it's simply about meeting a standard (instructor and student alike).

My opinion on the final product, will be partly shaped by who is providing that product.......as everyone loves to state on this forum..."It's not the agency, it's the instructor."
That statement is always made in defense of low standard agencies.....

......as if to say "the agency is low standard, but you can still find quality instruction because many instructors are well above the standard."

With that in mind...perspective students are very frequently told on this forum to "look past any perceived agency shortcomings, and just look at the individual instructor instead."

OK, fair enough.......NOW students are "looking at the instructors", and might reasonably be asking themselves "is this guy above standard or not?"

There in nothing judgemental in that......
.....It's the instructor, not the agency.

Are students now supposed to only look at certain aspects, and ignore others?

-Mitch

Back
Top Bottom