wannabe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish:
Here's a stupid wannabe question...
My family lives in Florida, I do a lot of diving there in the summers, like to get into spearing as well.

However, all the truly "exciting" shark stories I have heard back there have to do wth spearfishing. Any tips about "interspecies competition" for the catch?

JAG
Not a stupid question at all...
I've been spearing for over 30 years. Long ago we got into the habit of clipping the stringer off to the down line rather than to ourselves - so if a hungry shark did come by he could just have the catch. I think I can count on one hand (off the top of my head I can only think of twice) how many stringers we've lost in all that time.
Most recently (last summer) I had a friend who hadn't yet learned the remote clip-off procedure get spun around by a shark who was after his stringer that was attached to him - got his attention (and he gave up his stringer in a hurry) - now he clips his off to the down line as well.
Rick

I see
Good to hear that you have not had many encounters...

So you go down the line, "spoke out" to find fish, and I guess you don't want to go very far, because after each "catch" you'll return to the line? Have I got that right? Or maybe you'll go back to the line every couple fish?

JAG

Rick Murchison:
- so if a hungry shark did come by he could just have the catch. I think I can count on one hand (off the top of my head I can only think of twice) how many stringers we've lost in all that time.

Rick

And you do have 2 hands right Rick :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom