Want to Learn/Need Advise PLS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marz

Reaction score
Want to Learn/Need Advise PLS!

Hi Guys, I'm heading to Waikiki in a few weeks and I want to learn scuba diving.

Can you guys tell what the Padi O/W cert entails in detail.
How difficult is it. The course sounds quite daunting.

Can you suggest reputable dive operators in Oahu where I can do the course.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Marz

Hi Marz, and welcome.

I cannot give you any leads as far as diveshops on Oahu. We do have a member, her name is Chepar. She lives on Oahu and just recently became certified herself. You may want to search the Board for a thread she posted on and then send her a private message. She also may see this and respond directly on this thread.

As far as the training goes I found the training pleasant and easy. However, everyone is different and so you will hear some were intimidated, had different difficulties and obstacles to overcome. My advice to you is go for it, relax, pay attention to what the course book and your instructor says, but most of all HAVE FUN!!

This is the best sport in the world.

Boy don't you start off with the easy questions.

Goto www.scubadirectory.com and type in Oahu and 26 shops will appear.

As far as learning to Scuba Great choice :bounce:

Take your time and ask questions whenever you need to
Get a good mask, that fits
get a good pair of fins, I suggest Apollo Bio fins, but price is an issue
then a low cost snorkel, just needs to last for training.

most places require that personal equipment, then will provide the rest for training.

you can find a shop near you and get the books and classroom out of the way first, time permitting, that get a referal to do your checkout dives in HI.

PADI teaches in three phases
Self/Classroom
Pool to practice the skills

These two are usually done together

The third also called checkout dives
Confined water 4 dives with instructor to make sure you can do the skills

stay alert and relaxed you'll do fine

Marz,

The PADI O/W course is far from daunting. OTOH, you may have encountered an instructor who has elected to add to his course. This is a good thing. The more you learn, the more required of you and the more you practice, the better, safer diver you'll be as a result. You need an instructor who teaches a comprehensive course while presenting the material in a calm progressive manner. Interviewing potential instructors is the best way to choose a class.

DSSW,

WWW™

The open water course isn't really difficult. The most important thing about learning to dive is the instructor. Find an instructor that will take the time to teach to your needs. Some are very good and some are very impatient. The class itself is pretty well paced so you shouldn't have any trouble. The water skills just take practice and everyone needs some time to master them but the class provides plenty of time and practice.

Jump in and do it!

Scott

for information on padi courses go to www.padi.com click on the course icon and it shopuld answer any questions you may have you may also access their resort operators find the one closeet to where you are going and in most cases e-mail them directly they will even take a reservation give you costs and time schedule.

I don't recommend taking the nearest class. All classes are not created equal. Some instructors are excellent, but frankly the vast majority are not. Choosing a class is an area in which few spend enough time & effort.

DSSW,

WWW™

Marz,

First of all, Welcome to the board mate.

Walter has provided rock solid advice. The only addition I can offer is to suggest that you get certified prior to your trip to Hawaii.

Enjoy and be safe, no matter what you decide to do.

www.PADI.com will also link you to dive facilities at just about any destination in the world. I refer many people to their site for just that purpose. Also, PADI rates their dive facilities based on a number of qualifications, generally, the Five Star rating is only given to those facilities that continuously exemplify the PADI Standards of Learning. I would suggest looking for one in HI if you want to do your training there, or the one nearest you! Good Luck!:)

Hi Marz-

Welcome to the Board! I have also just recently joined, and have found it to be extremely informative and friendly. There are a bunch of great people here, all willing to help.

There are a plethora of dive shops in and around Waikiki (and the rest of the island) that offer OW certification. Most in town offer pick up at your hotel and transport to the various dive/class locations. However, just being recently certified myself, I don't have any personal knowledge of them, just some of what I've heard.

The shops around here offer certification classes usually either in a very short period of time (crammed into a weekend) or over a 1 or 2 week period. If you were going to get certified here, I guess how you did it would also depend on the length of your stay.

The dive shop I got my certification through was Hawaii Sea Adventures. They aren't located in Waikiki, they are in Pearl City, which is about 20 minutes from downtown headed toward the North Shore. They are more of a local/neighborhood shop than one that caters to tourists, if that is a factor you are considering. I can't say enough good things about my instructor; he was very knowledgable, friendly and patient. I LOVED my dive experience through him and now am a certified scubaholic. :D
Actually, the entire shop is a bunch of good people. While my instructor is both a PADI and SDI instructor, Hawaii Sea Adventures offers the OW cert through SDI only, so if you were set on PADI, that shop wouldn't work for you. They do offer the PADI AOW course, though.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to write a book. :D If you needed any more information or I can assist you in any way, drop me a line at che3par@yahoo.com.

Happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom