Want to use a bungee secondary w/o wrapping a primary LP hose around me for reef div

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the input. I know what you mean about the standard primary hose having a tendancy to be pulled or pushed from your mouth. I'm a bit wider than the average male so I'll give what I've got coming a go in the pool and unless it feels horrible I'll try it out on my dive trip in Feb.

I too just purchased 2 sets of HOG regs. I know there are tons of ways to deal with extra hose. I too will try many styles until we find the style we like.

I do like the bungie idea because for Rec diving I assume the only time you will be giving up your primary is in an emergency in which case you should be surfacing. In that case there should not be a need to reattach it underwater. Is that a correct assumption?

My initial idea for dealing with hose length was instead of stuffing it into the waist strap was to use some kind of small elastic band similar to a 2nd stage holder to loop the hose though and attach at the waist strap. This way it would be held in the "normal" place and be easy to pull free when needed. Is that a reasonable idea?

I too just purchased 2 sets of HOG regs. I know there are tons of ways to deal with extra hose. I too will try many styles until we find the style we like.

I do like the bungie idea because for Rec diving I assume the only time you will be giving up your primary is in an emergency in which case you should be surfacing. In that case there should not be a need to reattach it underwater. Is that a correct assumption?

My initial idea for dealing with hose length was instead of stuffing it into the waist strap was to use some kind of small elastic band similar to a 2nd stage holder to loop the hose though and attach at the waist strap. This way it would be held in the "normal" place and be easy to pull free when needed. Is that a reasonable idea?
I am having trouble visualizing what you are saying. I think (might be wrong) you have mixed two setups in your description.

In the typical setup being described by just about everyone here, the bungee is a small cord that goes around the next so that the alternate is just below the chin. The long hose is the primary that goes around the nexk, with any axtra at the bottom of the loop either tuck behind equipment (like the light battery case in the picture) or tucked in the waist band.

This statement of yours seems out of place with that: In that case there should not be a need to reattach it underwater.

I wonder of this statement by Devon confused you:

If you have a preference not to neck-loop the long hose (hard to have a preference until you've tried it), then you can fit some bungee cord around your tank and secure it there. That's a one-shot deal though - as once you've deployed it, you'll need to pause the dive and get your buddy to fit it back under the cords. That's how BSAC train their tech divers.

That is a very different approach advocated by BSAC and almost no one else. BSAC does not like the system described here and does not allow it. As I understand what he was describing (please correct me if I am wrong), in that case, the alternate, not the primary, is on a long hose and bungeed to the tank. I don't like that system myself, although I can only say so in theory. I have personally never seen it used.

I am having trouble visualizing what you are saying. I think (might be wrong) you have mixed two setups in your description.

In the typical setup being described by just about everyone here, the bungee is a small cord that goes around the next so that the alternate is just below the chin. The long hose is the primary that goes around the nexk, with any axtra at the bottom of the loop either tuck behind equipment (like the light battery case in the picture) or tucked in the waist band.

This statement of yours seems out of place with that: In that case there should not be a need to reattach it underwater.

I wonder of this statement by Devon confused you:

If you have a preference not to neck-loop the long hose (hard to have a preference until you've tried it), then you can fit some bungee cord around your tank and secure it there. That's a one-shot deal though - as once you've deployed it, you'll need to pause the dive and get your buddy to fit it back under the cords. That's how BSAC train their tech divers.

That is a very different approach advocated by BSAC and almost no one else. BSAC does not like the system described here and does not allow it. As I understand what he was describing (please correct me if I am wrong), in that case, the alternate, not the primary, is on a long hose and bungeed to the tank. I don't like that system myself, although I can only say so in theory. I have personally never seen it used.

I may have been reading wrong. I got the impression from that post that the extra length in the 7' hose was attached to the tank/backplate in a way it was easily deployable with a simple pull. That way you would used your primary in the style of a "standard" rec length hose but when you needed it for an emergency you would have the extra length. From your post I take it that is not a good idea...?

I have seen the bungie necklaces for holding the back up regs and understand how those work.

I'm not sure what you mean about the bungie, unless you are just using that as part of the general descriptor because it exists on the backup second stage.

But on the other part, about the primary second stage (on the long hose).... what about drills? My buddy and I practice OOA/donation drills during our dives, and we don't usually surface at that time (we may swim along for awhile, just to practice moving comfortably while "attached"). So when the drill is over I will take my long hose back and begin using it again for the rest of the dive. Since I have a 5' hose I don't have the extra two feet of hose to "tuck," but I do have the "long" part to re-loop behind my head. It doesn't seem overly difficult, with practice.

From watching the video of the drill, you would be doing the same thing and then only after you were squared away with your primary back in your mouth and comfortable, would you tuck/stow the final 2' in your waistband.

I could also imagine some real events in which you might donate your primary but then not immediately surface (problem gets squared away, you take primary back; it's judged prudent to continue dive, etc.).

Not sure if that was what you meant?

Blue Sparkle

Last edited:
I may have been reading wrong. I got the impression from that post that the extra length in the 7' hose was attached to the tank/backplate in a way it was easily deployable with a simple pull. That way you would used your primary in the style of a "standard" rec length hose but when you needed it for an emergency you would have the extra length. From your post I take it that is not a good idea...?
No, it's not a good idea, and it really isn't necessary. It is not hard at all to find a way to keep the extra length of the 7 foot hose in place.

I guess it partly just depends on physique? My usual buddy tried my regs/5' hose and it was comical - the reg was way over in the right corner of his mouth, like a Popeye pipe :wink: He's not all that tall (I'm not sure... maybe 5'9"?), but stocky (although not HUGE or anything).

I'm 5'5" and medium-sized, and end up with scads of hose... maybe a bit too much. That functions better than too little hose though.

Back
Top Bottom