Wanting to Get Certified.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm overwhelmed with the positive feedback from this forum. I have taken all of you advice and will plan on making more calls. I will say I have talked to several shops and asked some of the questions that were recommended, and was not impressed on how they conducted themselves. I'm not a "high maintenance" person by any means, just someone who likes to be prepared in case something goes wrong. Thanks again!

Take a certified scuba class from a reputable international agency, presented through a local dive shop in your are that has a good reputation for quality instruction. Do not rush. OPnce certified, get some diving in, and then take additional classes as may interest you. Becoming a competent recreational diver takes time, and becomming a qualified, safe and competent technical divers takes much more. Crawl before you walk.
DivemasterDernnis

Look here on Scubaboard in the local areas section and try digging around on Facebook and on the Internet to find out what other clubs/shops/instructors/divers there are in your area. Check them out by dropping by or calling, or going to a meeting or other event they are likely to attend.
If you find out where the locals dive, go down and look around, take a couple thermoses (and cups) of coffee or cocoa and go introduce yourself. They can tell you their opinions of the shops/clubs/instructors in your area.

You might get the very best learning experience of any of these local divers, because they can give you a heads up on what they wish they would have known back when they were students.

If you have clear goals, it will make the process shorter and more efficient if every step you take gets you closer to them. If technical wrecks or caves are your destination, start your education with someone who understands those things. The GUE Rec 1 class has already been recommended, but unless you are prepared to travel, it's really not an option. Finding an instructor in your area with technical training, who is willing to teach you with that in mind, may be possible. Unfortunately, I really don't have a lot of resources in your area, but Duane Johnson, ppO2_diver here on ScubaBoard, is in Chicago, and he would be a good person to make contact with. If he doesn't work for you, he might know someone in your area who would.

This sounds like you'd might be a good candidate for the GUE Rec 1 course. However, it isn't run very often and mostly just in Hawaii and Florida (mostly because that is where the instructor who likes to run this course in the US lives). But it is a very detailed and more complete course than the usual open water course and is set up to help prepare you for further tech training with GUE. So if the GUE tech curriculum fits your plans it might be worth talking to Meredith. But you will probably have to travel to do this, it costs about a thousand dollars and it takes about a week to run.

However, the other suggestions are certainly viable. There are a lot of great instructors out there, they are not limited to any agency. But there are some poor instructors too, and also instructors who might be great for someone else but are just not a good fit for you.

"He might be a good candidate" for PADI,NAUI, SDI, SSI, PSAI..... as for GUE SURE Other than he lives no where near a GUE course and said he's been checking the local dive shops.....

Find a good local instructor who knows the local diving you'll be doing.

Do some more checking---it's not the agency--it's the 'fella' giving you his/her knowledge...........Then you might become a (real)legend in your own time....:)

EDIT:---& reading your post #11 in this thread, what makes you feel like something could go wrong @ 100+ feet UW???............

This sounds like you'd might be a good candidate for the GUE Rec 1 course. However, it isn't run very often and mostly just in Hawaii and Florida (mostly because that is where the instructor who likes to run this course in the US lives). But it is a very detailed and more complete course than the usual open water course and is set up to help prepare you for further tech training with GUE. So if the GUE tech curriculum fits your plans it might be worth talking to Meredith. But you will probably have to travel to do this, it costs about a thousand dollars and it takes about a week to run.

However, the other suggestions are certainly viable. There are a lot of great instructors out there, they are not limited to any agency. But there are some poor instructors too, and also instructors who might be great for someone else but are just not a good fit for you.

I think the closest Rec 1 GUE instructor may be in Ontario? It's pretty far to travel. In case anyone is curious about the course, check out this link.

https://vimeo.com/34392738

I think the closest Rec 1 GUE instructor may be in Ontario? It's pretty far to travel. In case anyone is curious about the course, check out this link.

https://vimeo.com/34392738

That's a great GUE commercial - good videography too...

Back
Top Bottom