Warning about medical conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi:
In this business, you run across all types of people and all kinds of situations. Most you just deal with and move on, but some warrant some discussion and reminders to divers out there.

If you have had back surgery or any surgery in the past year or two, particularly in the past 3 months, wouldn't it make sense that a dive operator would want a Dr.'s release? Your dive operator should not have to tell you that when you make reservations. As a certified diver, it is understood that if you have existing medical condistions, that you should check with your Dr. before participating in SCUBA.

I was just verbally attacked for turning someone away with very recent back surgery and no Dr.'s release. Ironically, the woman who had had the surgery was very kind and level headed. Her friends on the other hand were completely unreasonable.

I know they will find someone to take them diving, but I did what I thought was best.

Good for you Christi. You made the right call no doubt. At least the potential diver was not the unruly one but that did not make your day any better.

Have you ever.... Are you now, or have you ever been this is as easy to avoid as it is to write the word..."No."

Christi:
I have basic medical release on the dive application.

That's smart on your part. I was only asking because, while the behavior is in no means excused, a medical release is not all that common south of the border so it could be a little unexpected. Again, not excusing the behavior.

Any, a diver should know that when it comes to medical releases...just say no :D

Since I started taking medication for borderline high blood preassure a couple of years ago, I have carried the standard PADI medical form signed off by my Dr. I get it renewed each year when I have my annual physical.

It seems strange that somebody who had been through basic open water or any PADI class should be surprised that answering "yes" to any of those questions is going to take you to the "needs a Dr's sign off" part.

During a trip to Cozumel last month, I was in the Aldora shop when someone called and asked about going diving with recent back surgery. The answer was the same as Christi's. "Talk to your Doctor, bring a sign off from your doctor, we will work with you as long as you have your Doctor's agreement that this is a good idea". Seems pretty basic.

You gave the woman and her buddy their money back.

How many other operators would have said no diving and no refund?

You are still aces in my book Christi.

TwoBit

Our company will not let you return to work without a Dr's note and most of us sit behind a desk. I don't think what you ask for (a dr's note)was anything beyond what anyone would want after surgery.

Stick to your guns girl...it's easier to apologize for not letting them dive than to beg for forgivness when something happens under your watch and they tell you it was your responsiblilty to ask for a dr's note. People amaze me sometimes. No common sense, and her friends were just being jerks.

Everyone is different! That said, I believe that you made the right choice. It is a shame that you were the one to take a financial hit for trying to be safe. It does seem a bit odd that she would be unwilling to go with any of the suggestions that you offered. Seems to me like she already knew the answer - NO DIVING.

I had open heart surgery 3 1/2 years ago and I always get my PCP to sign a form that I made up, listing any possible conditions that might preclude diving and a place for her to indicate that it is OK for me to dive. I also list the name, address, and phone number for my PCP and my cardiologist, just in case. I also make sure that whoever I am diving with has a copy of the form, as well as one that lists any meds that I take. You just can not be too careful.

James Goddard:
That's smart on your part. I was only asking because, while the behavior is in no means excused, a medical release is not all that common south of the border so it could be a little unexpected. Again, not excusing the behavior.

Any, a diver should know that when it comes to medical releases...just say no :D

I am not encouraging anyone to lie on the medical releases. Lying on the medical forms is not only doing the diver a disservice, but it is completely unethical and unfair to the operator taking them out. IMO, lying about your medical condition when it comes to SCUBA diving is just plain stupid and gives one a nomination for the Darwin awards. There are REASONS certain conditions are contradictory to diving.

What I find disturbing is that the woman wanted to dive, just off of recent back surgery, with no concern for her OWN safety. I had back surgery in 1988. When I went to get my PADI OW I was happy to go to the surgeon to get the medical release signed because I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to hurt myself or do any damage to my back. I WANTED the doctor's clearance even with a back surgery done 16 years prior. I can't believe people's rationale sometimes. I would think that she would have went to the doctor BEFORE her trip to make sure that her back was healed enough to dive without taking any chances of hurting herself. Kudos Christie! Not to mention that you would have been the first one sued if she reinjured her back (with all of her friends as witnesses against you too)!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom