WARNING! Dont use mask rinse buckets!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are nothing more than community snot buckets.... that everyone shares.

I don't think I've ever seen a boat actually clean a mask bucket out. drain and refill maybe, but that's it.

I was on a dive and I was the first back up so that meant my mask was the first in the bucket. So when the rest of the divers got back and put theirs in mine is on the bottom. Now I have to dig mine out and it was covered in snot. I have not used the community snot bucket since.

I've never even once in my diving 'life' used the mask rinse bucket.....I'll either keep a squirt bottle of fresh water in my dive bag or if on a liveaboard use the boat's freshwater deck shower to rinse the mask after applying defog.....the communal bucket is WAY disgusting !

I was on a dive and I was the first back up so that meant my mask was the first in the bucket. So when the rest of the divers got back and put theirs in mine is on the bottom. Now I have to dig mine out and it was covered in snot. I have not used the community snot bucket since.

I hate to tell you this.... but chances are that bucket wasn't santitized anytime in the past year....

so didn't matter who's was first or last...

so, like they don't put a capful of bleach in the five gallon bucket? :yuck:

How is it such an easy 'fix' is not commonplace?

spit in mask, hold mask in hand, jump in water, put mask on....

it's not so difficult... why would you ever need a rinse bucket?

I put my defog of choice on the lens, mask on face, once in water I let a little water leak in, then I clear it out.

Last edited:
I learned my lesson last May. 20 guests on the liveaboard. One REALLY sick dude who had no business being out of bed, let alone diving. He was always the first one down the ladder. By Wednesday everyone on the boat was enjoying his virus. On the plus side, it probably saved me an H1N1 shot in the Fall.

Thanks for the tip on not using the mask buckets! Being new to diving, this is very helpful.

What's the actual evidence that using the rinse bucket is bad? It may be common sense, but common sense is often like a rule of thumb. Namely, it is thumbtimes right and thumbtimes wrong. Having a sick guy on board among folks in tight quarters is a recipe for infectious disaster no matter what precautions you take, rinse bucket or not.

Back
Top Bottom