Warning: open water!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad I don't have TV chanels so I don't hear about those kind of movies. Probably wouldn't see it anyway. Sorry to hear of your misfortune with getting her certified. Maybe you two would just be happy snorkeling together for a while. If she enjoys that, then its more than likely just a matter of time before she wants to descend into the deep blue.
best wishes to you.

I won't spend my money to see a good movie in a theater never mind a stupid movie like this one.
Any of you that have problems convicing loved ones to get certified tell them that all diving is not done in salt water. Some people go their whole life and never dive in salt water.
Fred

sessions:
Well, I made the ultimate msitake today....I took my wife to see open water. I have been talking her into getting certified, so she can dive with me. I have been making headway...until we went to the movies today....what an idiot? The movie isnt that disturbing, for anyone who has dove around sharks....but for her, it has pretty much closed the "let's get her certified door". A bit of advice....dont take someone who you want to get certified later! :11:
well at least you can see it , its not even playing any wear near me LOL !!!!!

I've got an Idea..

Get all your buddies to gether and chear for the sharks... Loudly!

My wife and I saw it opening day. We liked it. Shes still "thinking" about getting certed. i think its a excelent how NOT TO dive movie though. They had no singnaling devices, not even a whistle! Strange, I thought pretty much all bc manufatures put those on these days. My 2 cents...

I saw it last week with my 19 year old daughter. Most of our diving has been in the western Carribean and, quite frankly, the first 1/2 of the movie (up until the stranding) could have been video of pretty much any of our low-cost motel/boat dive excursions down there. If anything in the film up to the point of the stranding was "unrealistic", I sure didn't catch it.

I do agree that the whole "knife" thing was silly, and that I wondered about the lack of BC whistle attempts as well. In any case, it was easy to forgive those items. However, even my newbie daughter volunteered that the post-dive boat was way too messy back in port to have been credible. Heck, they clean those things off right down to the last dropped dime while the divers are still within shouting distance. And since it was a morning dive, you'd expect it would have been "turned around" for an afternoon trip. Finally, no dive op would fail to notice 2 missing tanks at the end of the day.

In any case, we enjoyed seeing ANY movie about diving and hope it generates enough interest to warrant a few more.

"Finally, no dive op would fail to notice 2 missing tanks at the end of the day."

Unfortunately, this dive op did fail to notice two tanks missing. Remember, this IS based on a true story. What actually happens in the water is purely speculation and "movie spectacularized." But the fact is that the two divers that this movie is based on did get left behind and they died.

This is not the only incident of being left behind by a dive op either. Scary! :11:

My husband and I saw it this weekend. I'm normally not freaked out by much but I was really disturbed after the movie. It wasn't until later that I figured out that it had nothing to do with being lost at sea, it was their relationship and the choices that she made at the end of the movie that really got me.
I have no issues with sharks, they're actually why I got certified. And we LAUGHED when the knife was pulled out but if you're married or in a long term relationship, you'll have to give the writers credit for creating a realistic relationship.
I enjoyed the movie for the most part though. I didn't expect it to end the way it did even though I should have. I wouldn't call it a waste of my money or time. I've seen way worse movies. If nothing else, it is fun to watch and was interesting to see what the writers did with how they believed the people would react once in the water.
BTW, we saw it Saturday night and were on the dive boat as schedule Sunday at 5:30. Great day of dives!

Pasley's comments re: the fact the actors were in the water with the very real sharks in this low budget indie and that nothing serious happened is an important fact to get out to all our non-diving friends. I heard the film makers interviewed on a few shows and that point was a key to understanding what a limited threat sharks really pose to SCUBA divers.

Given that, I don't surf and am careful when I'm out kayaking. All the potentially serious incidents I've had with sharks have been while kayaking (22' tiger shark, Sea of Cortez 1971 or 1972, 13-16' great white off Catalina's West End 1977 or 1978).

Doc

Pasley- What is that county in Florida? I'm heading to Florida next month and plan to do some diving.

Doc

Back
Top Bottom