Was I Wrong? How to correct if so?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All - thank you very much for your advice and your words of wisdom.

In brief, I talked to the lady-friend the other day and when I brought up this experience of ours, we both recalled that we did not have a pre-dive briefing. That would have answered questions, and most importantly, we know to do that the next time we dive (next month). Also, we will be diving together and alone this time so buddy diving rules will be strictly enforced!!! No ands, if's, or buts.

As a new guy on this board too, this is proving to be a great tool to get great advice. I commend you all for not "hating on the new guy" as I too often see on the aviation boards I am a member of. You guys/gals make this a fun community to be a part of and I appreciate it :D

-B

Soltari, when I did my first Maui trip, I dove with my husband and an instructor. If I recall correctly, the dive briefing was that, if somebody ran low on gas, they'd go up and get back on the boat, and the other person would stay with the instructor. I didn't know any better. Peter ran low and ascended, and I spent another ten or fifteen minutes in the water.

Nowadays, I would not do that. What if my buddy, low on gas, ran out on ascent? What if he had a freeflow? What if he got so anxious about being low that he held his breath on ascent? What if he surfaces and starts to develop DCS symptoms, and can't keep his head out of the water? (BTW, there's a story somewhere on this board of precisely that.)

Descents and ascents are where you need a buddy, most likely. You've got ear problems, or buoyancy problems, or gas problems . . . going up and down in the water column is not a place to leave someone on his own. JMHO, and my unvarying practice.

Thank you TSandM. I never thought about it from this point of view and you're right. Think I will just stick with my buddy from now on.

Back
Top Bottom