Was "Mike Nelson" right in advising never to ascend faster than your largest bubbles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

("re-noob" certified originally in 1975 then dry for a lonnnng time) I learned the "not faster than your smallest bubbles" back in the day also (1975), "what gage, what computer???". Back when we drank out of the garden hose and rode our bikes without helmets. Don't get me wrong more, knowledge is rarely (but not never) a bad thing..that is why I read all these posts, but I am glad to hear that the bubble rule is not without merit even in these new fangled, computer thingamajigy days.

and does any agency teach to disregard the computer and follow their guidelines?

Yes, they do. Particular if you are conducting a decompression dive.

Your computer isn't bulletproof. I watch my ascent rate indicator to verify what my experience, and what my bubbles tell me is a safe ascent rate.

It is a great rule and if you follow your SMALLEST bubbles you will be ascending considerably slower than 60 ft per minute. It is a great tool.

Even if your computer has not died, it is one more tool in the experienced diver's bag of tricks to help judge an ascent. Anytime you are ascending and you begin to rise into your own bubble stream, this is an immediate warning to exhale and to slow the ascent and get the bubbles above you. It could be a very important tool in an emergency, or when doing some other activity that has your hands full and you don't wish to have to stare at the computer.
Exactly.

People make it a lot harder than it has to be, and most have never actually tried it.

If you pick the smallest bubble, ensure you don't pass it and then keep picking the smallest bubbles you see, you'll come up at about 30 fpm. It also tends to be a lot more constant and reliable than looking at your depth gauge or computer, and it will keep you looking around on the ascent and improve your situational awareness.

Let's all try being a little less equipment dependent and put the skill and critical thinking back in diving.

Back in the day when 60' per minute was the norm, we didn't have computers. A depth gauge and a watch is what we were taught to use. It was a lot easier to find a small bubble and follow it. It's still a good fall-back if your computer craps out.

A small point: "never faster than" does not mean 'as fast as'. It's a maximum ascent speed limitation. Following M.N.s dictum permits you to ascend as slowly as you wish. I've always used that basic system, having learned it from a booklet a long long time ago as part of my scuba self-taught program. I decided that I should be able to watch my exhaust bubbles moving toward the surface a little faster than me. Bubbles have all sorts of uses, including orientation in limited visibility, determining strong current directions, and following a pack of resort divers with whom you are grouped at a safe distance by watching the surface ahead, where their huge volumes of exhaled air are easily visible even when they themselves are not.

IIRC, when I was certified (1969), we were taught to follow the slowest bubbles. That is easy to do, since all the bubbles will be going up and away from you. You don't have to focus on any one bubble.

I was taught to ascend slower than the slowest bubble when I began diving in 1965. I have used that as my guide since then and still do today.

Never faster than your smallest bubbles. One foot per second with a safety stop at 12-15 ft. I have been diving since 1969 and never had a problem using this rule. If it works don't fix it!

A small point: "never faster than" does not mean 'as fast as'. It's a maximum ascent speed limitation. Following M.N.s dictum permits you to ascend as slowly as you wish. I've always used that basic system, having learned it from a booklet a long long time ago as part of my scuba self-taught program. I decided that I should be able to watch my exhaust bubbles moving toward the surface a little faster than me. Bubbles have all sorts of uses, including orientation in limited visibility, determining strong current directions, and following a pack of resort divers with whom you are grouped at a safe distance by watching the surface ahead, where their huge volumes of exhaled air are easily visible even when they themselves are not.

You must have used the same book I used to teach myself to scuba....

Jim....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom