Washing wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use baby shampoo.
Rick

I was recommended by the shop that my wetsuit could be washed in a washingmachine with fluid softner and detergent.
Or is it better to wash by hand?

Or do you mean that I should wash the suit after every dive?

juggernutt once bubbled...
I was recommended by the shop that my wetsuit could be washed in a washingmachine with fluid washingliquid.
Or is it better to wash by hand?

Or do you mean that I should wash the suit after every dive?

I wold not. I usally just soak mine for several hours in a tub with periodicaly agitating it. Occosionaly I will wash it with a mild detergent.

What I have been told, but do not know as I am not an expert.

Enemies of wetsuits:
1, Compression caused by diving and folding which crushes the neopren cells and removes their insulating abilities. swishing it up into the washing machine would I think not help this, plus the abbrasion of the agitator.
2. Drying out of the neoprene caused by UV radiation or harsh detergents which remove the natual oils occuring in the wetsuit.

Baby shampoo or Downey fabric softner or commercially available wetsuit shampoo are what I have previously heard recommended.

I never use any soap or any detergent... I just rinse and hang. When they start getting stanky, I fill the dunk tank up to the top, get all my neoprene goodies, throw them in, and dump in a bunch of Mirazyme. Takes the stank out for good. Works great on your nasty, smelly sandals, too!

~W

Back
Top Bottom