Water as weight rather than lead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
the question:

can you use water as weight, instead of lead weight?

For example, say that you take containers of water instead of lead. Yes, water weights six pounds per gallon, so you would have to take two gallons of water to equal 12 pounds, but...

Say you tie two milk gallons full of water to your waist...

Wouldn’t it be the same as wearing lead weights?

We were having this discussion, and someone was saying that wouldn’t work, because the water would “float on water."

is this correct?

H2Andy:
the question:

We were having this discussion, and someone was saying that wouldn’t work, because the water would “float on water."

is this correct?

Not if you put it in a lead container.... :wink:

If you fill a 1 gallon milk jug with water (I mean FILL it) and toss it in a pool, it will float. Its heavy on the deck, but floats in the pool. Barely, but it does float.

Why do I know this? Because I need a life.

K

I think the water would be neutral in itself. the container might make it a bit negative but I remember as a kid filling old bubble stuff containers with water and putting them in the neighbors pool and watching them float about a foot off the bottom.

I'm not great with physics.....but wouldn't water have the same weight as water (so it wouldn't make you positive or negative)? Lead is heavier than water.....so, it makes you negative.

Peace,
Cathie

CuriousMe:
I'm not great with physics.....but wouldn't water have the same weight as water (so it wouldn't make you positive or negative)? Lead is heavier than water.....so, it makes you negative.

Peace,
Cathie

Ice floats.

K

Lead is used primaryily becuase of the weigh you get for small size. less bulky. althought some of my students who need a lot of lead might disagree about the less bulky comment. i guess you'd have to show them how big a sand bag you'd need for equal bag of lead shot so make the point more believeable.

Mo2vation:
Ice floats.

K
Ah, that's the tricky thing about water. It's actually densest right before it freezes, then it becomes less dense. That's why ponds freeze from the top down.

So what you need to do is get a refrigeration unit and keep the water in your weight belt right about 32.5oF. Then it will be denser than most of the water around it and sink.

You could also use tritium, but that's much less practical and the government will want to regulate you.

H2Andy:
the question:

can you use water as weight, instead of lead weight?

For example, say that you take containers of water instead of lead. Yes, water weights six pounds per gallon, so you would have to take two gallons of water to equal 12 pounds, but...

Say you tie two milk gallons full of water to your waist...

Wouldn’t it be the same as wearing lead weights?

is this correct?

Why does cork float and lead sink? The relative density. Cork weighs much less per unit volume than water. Lead is much more dense.

Specific gravity is a measure of density.

Water SG = 1

Cork SG is less than 1

Lead SG ~11.6

Lead weights ~720 lbs / cuft Water ~ 62.4 lbs cuft.

When you put lead in water it displaces its own volume so even lead "weighs less" in water. A cuft of lead in water weighs 720lbs - the 62.4 lbs of water is displaces or ~ 658lbs.

Waterfilled barbells will work fine out of the water, in the water they will be "weightless"

Hope this helps

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom