Water in GoPro dive housing to deal with heat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danpass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Has anyone done this?

I’m considering doing this, about 95% full, to help with heat transfer to the surrounding ocean.

Ninety five percent full, to leave a compressible bubble, since the ocean will compress the dive housing a bit. Don’t want water pressure to push those buttons inside lol.

Hero 11 with Enduro Battery, 4k60, 10bit ON, everything else off.

I haven’t been able to test this at depth but given my various tests in pool and house, GoPro naked, GoPro with housing on, in air, in water, etc, the above settings seem to be the best compromise for how I use the GoPro; turn on going into the water, leave on, turn off when back on the boat. This way I’m not constantly fooling with the unit.

-

Reactions: OTF
I have the GP10 which runs hot, I didn’t think it was an issue with the 11.

I have a couple hours of video of my gear bag/carseat/etc from my 11 in the housing. Havent had any issues with overheating.

I have a couple hours of video of my gear bag/carseat/etc from my 11 in the housing. Havent had any issues with overheating.
I also used my 11 extensively on my Raja Ampat Liveaboard in December (5.3K60p) and had no overheating issues.

Has anyone done this?

I’m considering doing this, about 95% full, to help with heat transfer to the surrounding ocean.

Ninety five percent full, to leave a compressible bubble, since the ocean will compress the dive housing a bit. Don’t want water pressure to push those buttons inside lol.

Hero 11 with Enduro Battery, 4k60, 10bit ON, everything else off.

I haven’t been able to test this at depth but given my various tests in pool and house, GoPro naked, GoPro with housing on, in air, in water, etc, the above settings seem to be the best compromise for how I use the GoPro; turn on going into the water, leave on, turn off when back on the boat. This way I’m not constantly fooling with the unit.

-
If you are talking about putting water in the dive housing to keep it cool. I don't think that make sense...as the unit heat up... and then it heats up the water in the housing... so.......

I’ve got three Enduro batteries and they all cut off for overheat.

Sitting in water, in a dry dive housing, was the longest run time, 51 minutes.

Sitting in air, naked or in dive housing, were both 28ish minutes.

I’ve gone thru the settings, to leave the minimum, 4k60, everything else off, and still have the overheat.

New Hero 11, just got it last month. Firmware says current Version.

It’s working harder than normal at 4k60, vs 2.7k60 or any30.

Just don’t want to give up that 60fps at 4k.

4k30 only gives me a better sensor than my Hero5

I
If you are talking about putting water in the dive housing to keep it cool. I don't think that make sense...as the unit heat up... and then it heats up the water in the housing... so.......
I‘ve tried it in the sink and it uses full battery, 61min, no overheat. Instead of having an insulating layer of air between the unit and the surrounding water/ocean the inner water transfers heat more effectively.

But even a small air gap can get most of itself stuck in lens area and then you have this wavy line and two different focii.

Thermally it works fine but the visual expense erases that win.

-

You could dive with my group. The water is 55F so the cooling effect will be better. Also, as the visibility is 5-10 feet of mostly green water, you could decrease your resolution and frame rate with little consequence for your viewers. Come to think of it, you might not even need to record your dive, as I’ve just described it pretty well.

I would think the benefit would be minimal. And as mentioned above, gotta watch that air bubble. Another fix for a problem that really doesn't exist, maybe on a rare occasion.

Back
Top Bottom