Waterproof Connectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone make these besides Ikelite?

All I need is one 2 conductor cable to connect an LCD to my camera

(2) 2 conductor plugs
(2) 2 conductor bulkheads
waterproof cable
maybe (2) bulkhead plugs or at least one so I can plug the bulkhead on the camera and still use it in acse of a failure in the lcd housing.

It will wind up being nearly $100 for just this one cable, using Ikelites ICS-connectors sot I'm just tryinf to find out if there is another cheaper source.

grunzster:
Does anyone make these besides Ikelite?

All I need is one 2 conductor cable to connect an LCD to my camera

(2) 2 conductor plugs
(2) 2 conductor bulkheads
waterproof cable
maybe (2) bulkhead plugs or at least one so I can plug the bulkhead on the camera and still use it in acse of a failure in the lcd housing.

It will wind up being nearly $100 for just this one cable, using Ikelites ICS-connectors sot I'm just tryinf to find out if there is another cheaper source.
if you can get it that cheapgo for it..
good connectors are expensive, even Fischer connectors which are the more popular connector will will run you more than that..
I have used bendix connectors myself, the problem is that $400 a piece is a good deal..

You might want to take a look at lumberg cables the have premade cables connector one end bare wire on the other, this you could mount with a water tight strain relied and then get a base mount for the other side..
their 12mm series is probably the best choice.

I use bulgin buccaneer connectors. They are the cheapest underwater connectors I know. They have been tested at 100m (330 ft) for 12h

http://www.bulgin.co.uk/Products/Buccaneer/Buccaneer.html

You can have a pair for 25-30 euros (let's say 20-25 USD :wink: ) . In the US, I think you can find them through Allied Electronics (http://www.alliedelec.com/)

Lumberg connectors are also a good option :wink:

Scubacastor:
I use bulgin buccaneer connectors. They are the cheapest underwater connectors I know. They have been tested at 100m (330 ft) for 12h

http://www.bulgin.co.uk/Products/Buccaneer/Buccaneer.html

You can have a pair for 25-30 euros (let's say 20-25 USD :wink: ) . In the US, I think you can find them through Allied Electronics (http://www.alliedelec.com/)

Lumberg connectors are also a good option :wink:

They look like another connector I cant remember the manufacturer but I remember deciding against them because they were only rated for 10m, the spec for these connectors are also only 10m.. where did you see a 100m rating, or is it just someone who is testing a specific assembly..

if you really need a pressure connector you need to get one thats dual rated ip68/ip69

IP 68 just means continuous submersion no specific requirements, requirements are determined my the manufacturer, IP 69 means it can take a high pressure spray (usually about 200 bar)..

connectors dual rated ip67/ip69 are not designed for submersion.

grunzster:

I didn't see that since they had 2 specifications pages one for the joiner and 1 for the connector. The detrmining factor is probably the robustness of the cable.. connectors that are rated for deep service usually have a large tolerance for cable deformation.

I use standard Buccaneer connectors on a homemade canister divelight with many dives at 200 ft without trouble. They are cheap and quite reliable but they don't tolerate too much plug/unplug operations (as Lumberg and other brands).

although it says it was tested to that depth over a much shorter peiod of time

Well, 12h at 100m is somehow far from the "normal" dive profile of most "normal" divers :wink: . After that, I don't think we are still talking of recreationnal or tek dive :)

Back
Top Bottom