Waterproof Cordless Drill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know this is an old post, but you can make a small portable suction dredge to take down. 2ft section of pvc pipe, drill a hole half way up. Thread in a nipple, a small ball valve with a LP inflation valve on the outside and a 90 elbow inside pointing down stream. Then add a 3 ft section of flex hose to the end and a small weight for ballast or strap it to your thigh. Hook this to a tank and use the ball valve to regulate suction. The air flowing out will cause a venturi and whisk away the silt and sand. Mind you this will drain a tank rather quickly so do not connect it to your life support system, always a secondary.

T

Remember that whatever pump or propeller you use will be pushing against you with opposite and equal force. Not a problem when you weigh 150 Lbs on deck, not so pretty when you are neutrally buoyant.

Good point

The norm for waterjets used by divers is to have a hose pumping water from the surface which feeds into a the bottom of a Tee with nozzles fore and aft (usually extended 2-3'. Once in a while a high pressure waterjet isn’t filtered well enough and one of the jets gets clogged. That is why you need a deadman valve before the tee because you will be on an E-ticket ride until the flow stops. You can't just let go because it will just beat you to a pulp.

Air lifts work great in shallower water and are popular with gold dredgers and shallow-water treasure hunters. Both options require lots of horsepower to be effective though.

waterproofing a Makita or something similar is just flat-out not possible. Pneumatic was my initial thought as well. But I thought you'd need a compressor at the surface and run a hose down. Running it on a separate tank setup is brilliant if you've already got most of the equipment (like most here do). Otherwise a cheap DPV is probably the most economical choice IMO

waterproofing a Makita or something similar is just flat-out not possible. Pneumatic was my initial thought as well. But I thought you'd need a compressor at the surface and run a hose down. Running it on a separate tank setup is brilliant if you've already got most of the equipment (like most here do). Otherwise a cheap DPV is probably the most economical choice IMO

Cordless drill in drysuit :wink: i think i have picture somewhere ( but it was prototyp and would not it be fair to publish without permission of the author )

Cordless drill in drysuit :wink: i think i have picture somewhere ( but it was prototyp and would not it be fair to publish without permission of the author )
lol, really? How would the drysuit not get wrapped around it? I'm also curious as to how it would not burn out the motor. Does the air in the suit stay cool enough down there to allow it to ventilate in the suit?

now I have look ......I think that is made of thin neoprene (3mm) it have own inflation bottle ( neutral buoyancy) under battery , apex high valve

under drill head .

Dry suit have recess to get handle grip (just fro one side -right) . It si not small cordless driver but the larger electric hammer-drill around 1000W.

In the middle (so from push button ) from one side to another side is short brass zip with flap over.

I think that is between machine head and sealed shaft ( something like scooters have ; head is not rotating -drysuit is then wrapped as a sleeve on a dry suit )

From sealed shaft goes forward shaft with attachments for bits style tool .

Does the air in the suit stay cool enough down there to allow it to ventilate in the suit?

I think they work with pulses not to overheat machine and let cool machine ) Point is that you don't want air eruption in caves ( for habitat fixing)

because air go to the ceiling formed where the air bladder. Sludge does not support more water but it works by gravity due to an air bubble. So the

mud fall off and cause a water stain.

well enough ; now I have you give enough ideas ;-))

I know this is an old post, but you can make a small portable suction dredge to take down. 2ft section of pvc pipe, drill a hole half way up. Thread in a nipple, a small ball valve with a LP inflation valve on the outside and a 90 elbow inside pointing down stream. Then add a 3 ft section of flex hose to the end and a small weight for ballast or strap it to your thigh. Hook this to a tank and use the ball valve to regulate suction. The air flowing out will cause a venturi and whisk away the silt and sand. Mind you this will drain a tank rather quickly so do not connect it to your life support system, always a secondary.

T

Air lifts work well, maybe too well for what the op was looking for. He was just looking to move silt light enough to be pushed away by hand. You could but a small battery powered pump inside a small pvc pipe to lift the silt and deposit it behind you, ideally down current.

Air lifts work well, maybe too well for what the op was looking for. He was just looking to move silt light enough to be pushed away by hand. You could but a small battery powered pump inside a small pvc pipe to lift the silt and deposit it behind you, ideally down current.

Air lift is a simpler build, cheaper, easy obtained parts, more reliable and lighter to carry. But requires a pony to run.

Would like to see a battery powered version. I have a couple design ideas I may play with.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom