Ways to further diving certifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm doing the GUE fundamentals course with Mer next week. AFAIK there is still an opening in it, and in the 2-day primer if you want a less intense experience. If you have never dived with someone like her it's unreal.

Can I "like" that in spades?

I'll give a counter here. The DM courses definitely are used as a way to get free labor. They're unpaid internships. Therefore, you lug tanks, lug gear, do work around the shop, clean things and obviously help on a ton of dives. They give you training and the course. Most places have some kind of residence that can give you cheap accommodations.

The place I dove in the Bay Islands, I befriended a bunch of these folks. They weren't in agony. It's work, sure, but the reefs are your office. The hours aren't massive. You're usually somewhere nice.

You're looking for a break while you do applications, then it might be for you. A DM cert is cool to have. I don't have one. No doubt you'll be a MUCH better diver than you would be otherwise. I can recommend a place.

You need 40 dives to start the actual DM course, 60 to get the cert. I think they suggest at least 6 weeks for it.

I know a couple of people who've done resort DM programs because they were looking for a cheap way to dive and get better at diving. Neither is a dive pro. Most recently, I was a CoCoView in Roatan and I spoke with a couple of the interns. Sounds like they paid about 2K for four weeks all inclusive of the program, housing and food. I saw the interns working in the dive shop, helping do check-out dives, cleaning, etc...so it was definitely WORK. On the bus to the airport, the one leaving looked ready to leave but said she really loved the experience. One thing, I think you need at least 40 and a rescue cert to start DM training.

Fundies is a brilliant idea, you will also meet some good people though that class.

My only experience with the matter is years of hanging out on the these boards and a few visits to a college/university's website to read about their programs, but I've been left with the impression that some institutes of higher education have exceptionally fine diver education in their scientific diver programs.
Someone within the states will remember better exactly who/what colleges/where => please do tell!

I know a couple of people who've done resort DM programs because they were looking for a cheap way to dive and get better at diving. Neither is a dive pro. Most recently, I was a CoCoView in Roatan and I spoke with a couple of the interns. Sounds like they paid about 2K for four weeks all inclusive of the program, housing and food. I saw the interns working in the dive shop, helping do check-out dives, cleaning, etc...so it was definitely WORK. On the bus to the airport, the one leaving looked ready to leave but said she really loved the experience. One thing, I think you need at least 40 and a rescue cert to start DM training.

I think the programs have you just stay longer as part of the internship. Most of the dive shops there get in 4 dives on a regular day with an occasional night dive. I don't think you'd need to get to 40 before you started. I had the some kind of conversations though with the staff at Coconut Tree. Work is work but they're all pretty happy. Roatan is also an inexpensive place to hang out for the OP's reference.

I think the programs have you just stay longer as part of the internship. Most of the dive shops there get in 4 dives on a regular day with an occasional night dive. I don't think you'd need to get to 40 before you started. I had the some kind of conversations though with the staff at Coconut Tree. Work is work but they're all pretty happy. Roatan is also an inexpensive place to hang out for the OP's reference.

I'm not familiar w/ SSI/NAUI, but yes, a minimum of 40 dives is required to begin the divemaster course for PADI. The zero to hero programs will get you in the water and have you doing a bunch of dives daily so you get to 40 quickly, but before you can begin the actual DM program, standards dictate a minimum of 40 dives.

Divemaster | PADI

You should have tried fundies. We had 3 divers in the class, one had 20 dives, one had 26 dives and then there was me, who had cemented a bunch of bad habits with 120+ dives. It was great, (though long and hard) everyone learned a bunch.

We used the facilities at Texas State University San Marcos's 'The Meadows Center for Water and the Environment'. One of the research scientists there is Sam Meacham. He is the dive safety officer for the facility, a phenomenal diver, a GUE instructor (and was the co-teacher on this class) and is very interested in educating divers. You should contact him at smeach@gue.com.

You need to hook up with a couple of regular buddies. It would be nice if one or more were a little more experienced than you. But that's not a requirement. And then go dive your brains out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom