Ways you can use a spare air tank other than as scuba redundancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was hoping to just have a simple quick deploy pool toy... and when feeling adventurous I wouldn't oppose a little dock diving with one>?

see..... you're already going past a pool toy and trying to use it for "open water" diving off of a dock, which is most likely going to be lower vis, prob deeper water and lead to possible fishing line entanglements, etc....

you just took a bad idea and turned it into a really bad idea... :shakehead:

Now your changing the dynamics of this system. Simple to complex and more risk.

If you want to do a dive off a dock do it in full scuba gear. OR...do some free diving. With lots of practice you can hold your breath before you turn blue:wink:. manage to get around a few minutes, then surface with out blowing your lungs out...but then again...the risk is yours.

Last edited:
that's fair at least I didn't lie about my considerations :)

in all other fairness, their site does list that as customer-fed back legit uses...ie, using it as an assisted snorkeling device. boat captns on the site had said they use it to check the undersides periodically...it did not appear to be site-listed propaganda, it was written like true customer feedbacks. And, since when was spare-air company a ripoff company...they seemed legit to me. If it works as stated, I could see using it as assisted snorkeling safely, as the site says right> The safety items listed such as ascent consideration, equilization and not bumping your head underwater is no different than normal diving rules, so all in all it's no more dangerous than regular diving setups right?

see..... you're already going past a pool toy and trying to use it for "open water" diving off of a dock, which is most likely going to be lower vis, prob deeper water and lead to possible fishing line entanglements, etc....
Sharks.... Do not forget about the blood thirsty sharks..

in all other fairness, their site does list that as customer-fed back legit uses...ie,

there are some sites on the internet also that explain how the tooth fairy is real also.

Of course their website is going to push their product. That's what it's there for.
Their goal is to tell you how great it is and seperate you from your hard earned money in your pocket.

You're gonna spend about $300 on this Spare Air, then another $180 on an tank to refull it from. In the end after shipping taxes, etc, you'll have $500 in a "pool toy" that will seem "neat at first" but get boring after a while....

save yourself the money and use it wisely for something else. (it doesn't get much simplier than that....)

I knew you guys wouldn't take a devils advocate easily, one can always count on posting boards to get the real scoop from the passionate ones. if you all came on my reef aquarium forum posting some crazy ideas I'd prolly respond similarly :) thanks for reinforcing the safety aspect.

Last edited:
also I wasn't taking their literature lock stock and barrel, that's why I thought I'd check here. I think it's safe to say the device doesn't suffer from unplanned explosion, so outside of that a man is up against normal and predictable dive physiology and nothing untoward related specifically to the device...I won't be dock diving anytime soon, I'm landlocked in west texas, only pools are available. When I was reading about their snorkeling use it seemed straightforward and safe...you snorkel normally then just use the spare air for a short decent and back up, didn't seem to big a deal but I know you guys don't want to endorse anything other than proven solid gear sounds good

Each time you "fill" the spare air from the large tank it will be "less full". The pressure will equalize each time. "Full" is at 3000 psi, next filling will have less pressure.

Back
Top Bottom