Wd-40

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WD-40 was developed at Convair aircraft in the 60's at Lindbergh Field in San Diego. They were trying to reduce corrosion due to salt ladden condensation on aluminum aircraft panels.

39 batches of various combinations were tried and rejected, the 40th's batch of "Water Displacement" fluid worked. WD-40 was born. Later spun off as a seperate company.

WD-40is a solvent, works well for removing some adhesives. It is not in most cases an effective lubricant. Does a pretty good job of reducing corrosion in mechanical devices. I would expect it to effect some elastomers and fabrics, and I don't use it around non metallic dive gear.

Tobin

George suggests spraying WD-40 up into the aft hub areas of his Gavin scooters after rinsing in a dunk tank following ocean dives. Unless you disassemble the rear of the scooter, its tough (for me at least) to remove *all* the salt from that section. So I use a dunk tank and hose it out real good, then spray the WD-40 into the hub.

Thanks for the history. I'd wondered about the name, but was too lazy to track down the story.

I, too use it on my cutting devices, but that's all. A water rinse tank (Rubbermaid 24 gal storage tub works great), a tiny amount of mild detergent and air drying have worked well for my gear.

-G

Doc Intrepid:
George suggests spraying WD-40 up into the aft hub areas of his Gavin scooters after rinsing in a dunk tank following ocean dives. Unless you disassemble the rear of the scooter, its tough (for me at least) to remove *all* the salt from that section. So I use a dunk tank and hose it out real good, then spray the WD-40 into the hub.

Doc,

WD-40 will swell some o-ring and seal compounds, and is OK with others. George must know that the seal material used is compatible.

If there is any uncertainty, I just avoid the WD, often impossible to know what a given o-ring or seal is made of.

Tobin

jonnythan:
WD-40 will get rust off because it's a powerful solvent.

However, I suggest alternatives such as vinegar to get off rust, because it will not stick around and damage other gear.
WD40 is NOT a solvent. It's a light oil. WD40 stands for water displacing formula #40
http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_product_info.html

Water is the universal solvent. Solvents generaly will break down the bonds of what ever it is being applied to. So yes, I guess anything is a solvent for something but WD40 is not generaly considered s solvent.

WD is a oil thats made to break down rust and tempory oil. but WD40 will distroy o-rings. i would use a white litholium grease in a spry form. kills rust and will protect o-rings. it also repells water

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom