We were chased out of the water by sharks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not meny sharks in my aera just the odd blue shark ,and perhaps a mako lurking somewhere out there .
but last fall a sea urchant diver in our aera was surprised when a 7 ft mako grabbed his bag of urchants witch was attched to the diver and wound up being towed arround for a fiew feet .
no report of a diver or any other swimmer in our aera ever been attacked by a shark , so my feer of them are nil at the moment.
once in a lifetime experience arround here .

=-) Here off the N. Coast of California they SAY you have a better chance of getting hit by lightning than seeing a shark, however if you have ever been out to the Farallon Islands (breeding ground of the Great White) I don't think I would want to take the chance and try my luck. My dive shop has a video of those suckers shooting out of the water by about 10 feet (not kidding...I saw the video) to eat seals (can't bear to watch). Anyhow I have been diving only a short time in Montery Bay and have not seen any sharks yet.

Going to the Fla Keys at the end of the year and I am concerned with the Bull Sharks as the last two fatal attacks were bulls but not on scuba divers, but rather close to shore (kids playing). Are there a lot of bulls in the keys?

Scubamaniac

I see a whole new certification opportunity. The care & feeding of sharks. You could lead in to it with goldfish I suppose. Is this part of your deep penetration or confined spaces training????!!! The use of spearfish guns as safety gear. What better test could you give a pair of swim fins. A take off on the timex torture tests. Took a lickin'...and he just kept on lickin'..oops and a bite - guess you better go with faster fins next time. Now which fins and size of Depends would you wear in that situation

Originally posted by luvdiving
There are lots and lots of sharks out here. We see them on almost every dive, but as it gets closer to mating season, they must be getting more and more anxious. I know I do!:boom:

He was just being friendly. Maybe you guys looked cute to him? You know, sometimes it is just so hard to find the right mate... and when you do, they scamper back onto their boat. What's a loney shark supposed to do?

Sorry, I just had to do it :eek:ut:

Ty

Being landlocked up here in this non-aquatic realm of Denver,Co.
I experienced the most frightening experience of my scuba career.

While checking out the numerous dive shops located in the Denver area, (about 20, God only knows why there are so many), I found this OW class in progress. The shop I was visiting had its own onsite pool for conducting the confined water portion of cert. As I watched the class I noticed the instructor was standing on the edge of the pool instead of in the water with the students. Being of curious nature I approached the instructor and questioned him on his methods of teaching. I asked, "Aren't you supposed to be in the water with the students?" He replied, "I agreed to teach these students on one condition, and that was I could do it from pool side."

Being the persistant person that I am I continued my interrogation of the instructor, asking, "Why would you teach a class from poolside?"

He replied, "Simple, this is a law firm."

ID

... and it was definately a Galapagos shark. I posted the incident in my trip report from last July but to paraphrase: a very curious large Galapagos shark and two smaller ones circled us at various distances, some as little as 10 feet (the big one came the closest). It unnerved us so much (we were alone on the flats at Darwin Island) we surfaced. He stayed with us until we were plucked, which took 30 minutes. Bumped my wife, at one point I was looking at him no more than 12 inches from the tip of my fin just looking at me. Retrospectively, cute, at the time extremely unnerving. I can feel it in my stomach now just thinking about it.

The night after we returned from that trip, National Geographic TV ran a story (I didn't see it, one of the other divers emailed a brief description) about a photographer who had a very similar experience, in the exact same place (same sharK??) Hers was a little worse, she was alone, she was surfaced for over an hour, and drifted around the point of the Island (that alone would scare the crap out of me). Aparently, Galapagos sharks are very curious.

I'm curious about the Galapagos, so I guess me & the shark are even! I did not get into this to take major risks with sharks, but they told me to hug the ocean floor if u see one coming (because they attack from below).

Good story about the law firm. What precautions can be taken when diving with film producers?

Originally posted by Iguana Don
"Simple, this is a law firm."
HHHhhhhaaarrrrrr... har, har, har...
Love it.
Rick

Lets get back to that question of surfacing when you are faced with curious sharks. I too had heard that they attack from below, and that surfers are actually at much greater risk than scuba divers because of that.

Any Comments from the "shark experts"?

Scuba-sass :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom