Weather preventing diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were going to dive Sunday here in San Carlos, but the wind was pretty strong and the water turned muddy. The visibility would have been awful, so we fished instead and didn't catch anything. Grrrrrrr......

I suspect the judgment as to what conditions preclude a boat going out is very region-specific and subjective by captain. I had the experience once of having two boats booked for a day when we had a big out-of-town group in, and one canceled and the other didn't (awkward situation!).

But I'll also say that, as frustrating as it is, I'd rather have the charter operator cancel (in which case you get your money back) than have them take me out in marginal weather and have ME decide it's too unsafe to reboard (in which case my money is gone). Been there and done that, too.

Reboarding is generally the issue. High seas make divers in the water difficult to see, raising the likelihood of losing somebody, too.

One vivid memory of a diver learning the impact of marginal seas (about 6 ft) was in the Gulf of Mexico (Flower Gardens). The process is pretty simple, considering that the vessel had two angled "stair" type ladders...remove fins and hang on the trailing line, wait for the trough and the ladder is lowest in the water, step on and climb up to the fantail. Simple, right?
One of our divers was having their first experience in such conditions. He required a few troughs before he managed to get into the proper position, but did get there. The ladder dropped, he stepped onto the ladder and was immediately launched upward as the crest arrived. He was grinning at his success...but he forgot the next, very important step. "CLIMB!" we all shouted from the back of the boat. His grin disappeared as he and the ladder plunged downward and he went completely under as he was "maytagged" by the next wave.
On his next appearance, he needed no urging in scrambling up the ladder.

Loads of fun. Sorta like being launched out of a sub like a Polaris missile.

I don't mind diving in bad weather. My buddy and I have gone in when many other have cancelled. Most of the time, once you get below 15-20ft, you're fine.

However, there is one case where I cancelled a dive, and would never do it in that condition. That day, the charter trip for which I signed up was cancelled due to extremely high winds. By extreme, I mean the power in my neighborhood was out too. I drove down to Ogden Point with my gear to see how it looked. At Ogden Point, divers enter at the lowest blocks. That day, the waves and break continuously swept over the entire wall (at least 25 feet up, I believe), and the waves were probably a few meters high with plenty of debris (like logs) ripping around in the water.

Personal preference and whatever you're comfortable in, as long as you're safe.

Matt, the big problem with boat diving in heavy seas isn't getting into the water or even diving in the water--it's getting back on the boat! This can range from challenging to downright dangerous.

agreed. I've smashed my knees on ladders many times getting into a boat in less than favourable conditions.

also, while diving exHMAS Adelaide in 17m water, mind you, with rough swell we were getting thrown around the wreck like ragdolls. while trying to complete the deco stop it was impossible to hold onto the anchor line.

looking back on the dives it was stupid to do them, but it was the first day the wreck was open after scuttling, so damnit we were going to dive it rain hail or shine!

Surface conditions, re-boarding the boat, etc. can effect people differently--ei. if you're not in good shape, or not experienced with diving and/or boating, it may be very difficult. I would imagine this raises liability concerns as well for the dive op. I've been in conditions where re-boarding was a real challenge. On the other hand, one shop employee in Texas was somewhat amazed that the boat went out and I found it relativey a breeze. An interesting way of re-boarding--a trail line with a loop on the end. You put fins on the line, hold the loop and pull yourself to the transom when your turn. Very effective.

either that or inflate, remove and clip your BC onto the line as well. once on the boat haul it out of the water. too easy.

as others have said its usually the getting back on the boat that can cause the real problems....

Depends entirely upon the boat.......

P1011036.jpg

P1010257-1.jpg

P1010292-1.jpg

P1010271-1.jpg

Or, if you're really serious (and have a time machine):

Picture31.png

P1011036.jpg

P1010257-1.jpg

P1010292-1.jpg

P1010271-1.jpg

Picture31.png

Sure wish I could Pilot and Rorqual were great experiences (did 15 on Rorqual) but I can remember a couple of times even those ladders were a challenge.

P1010257-1.jpg

I'd bet in rough weather that ladder would still be difficult to climb. Either way I think it's a damn cool idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom