Wed. Photo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Neon Goby on Great Star Coral. Taken with Oly C-4040, YS90DX strobe, f/6.3, 1/125(?)

aac.sized.jpg

I've got a shot of one of those guys! A little blue-tinted, but oh well, it was fun taking it!

Matt :D

Olympus C-4000, PT-010, internal flash @ 65ft off of Ambergris Caye, Belize 11/02...

goby.gif

Neon Gobies, I can do this one.

30107.jpg

Islamorada, Fl.

Mmm... neon... Almost makes you want to get a few of them together and make Labatt signs :) Nice pics!

Here's my Neon...

-Roman.

Canon G2/Ikelite, internal strobe, F2.0, 1/60. Pink Beach, Bonaire.

16-IMG_0170.jpg

*edit... misID'd at 1st. Thought he was a peppermint, turned out to be a diff. type of Neon.

They sure do like those star corals, don't they? Xoomboy...yours is confused! :D

It appears so! But, if I were to post the whole picture, you'd see that he's actually riiiiiight next to the same star coral. Musta fallen off! :)

After today, Bren will know what it is! We had a great time and learned alot.

See ya at Joe's!

Hi Dee,

Which strobe level did you choose in the first picture?
I just bought myself a new year present :D You know what it is, don't you? A lot more tips to learn from you but wondering where to start. Any shortcuts? Haven't dipped it in the water yet and it's only 4 days away from my Myanmar trip :wink:

Here's a Blenny from Similans new year trip with Ikelite DS-50.

fcb5889a.jpg

What a great shot!

I don't remember the strobe setting exactly but it looks like a 5 or 6. That was one of the first and I was still mostly worried about getting it in focus...which is a little soft in this one.

It is so easy to change strobe settings, start in the middle and work out! To get the hang of it, I would start at 6 and bracket 1 stops on either side until I learned what each would do. Within 1 dive I was comfortable with using the strobe.

To save camera battery power, set your internal flash as low as it will go. It's still strong enough to trigger the strobe but your batteries will last longer.

Here's some reading for you....

C-XOXO Primer - Print this and take it with you. Although it was written for the C-4040, it applies to all C series of cameras. It's a great place to start your settings.

Articles - Several article in here that will interest you.

Dave Read's Photo Inst. - Although written for film cameras, the basics are the same. You'll learn how aperature and shutter speed work together to get the results you want. Also Pay close attention to the composition section. That will make or break a good picture.

Don't forget insurance! D.E.P.P. - Gear and flood insurance for your camera system. I don't get in ANY water without it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom