Wednesday's (Sep. 29) Maui pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gogums:
Hi Gilligan...awesome shots! I'm looking for some advice on selecting fins for UW video. I live on Oahu and just got certified and I'm trying to do my homework before buying alot of equipment that may not be best for my experience/interests.
I read ALOT of the fin threads on this board and left with my head spinning. I just want to feel like I got a great pair of fins to push against current, should I need it (just a safety thing). But I'm aware that some fins are less stable so using those for UW photo/video would be more challenging. Any advice overall on diving equipment I should be considering? Thanks for you time!
Aloha

08.gif

I'm probably the last person to be of any help to you on scuba gear as all of mine is old, like me. My gear is too far behind the curve and I don't keep up with the latest products.
I have an old "Seaquest Dimension XP" BCD which is a backlift type. I like backlift BCD's.
I have a Scubapro regulator setup which works fine but I'm not convinced I would buy Scubapro again because of its first stage design. It allows water to enter so as to work off ambient pressure. In my opinion this creates an additional maintenance issue. You need to soak, not rinse, that first stage for about 20 to 30 minutes every time to be sure no salt or debris is left in those holes or the next time you turn the air on the piston and/or the cylinder can get scored from any crystalized salt residue or sand. Those parts are not covered for free in the annual maintenance. Fortunately, I had only a small amount of scoring on mine before a gear tech put me wise to this.
As for fins, I use the Force Fin Pro model with the insert so as to use them without booties. I'm not recommending Force Fins overall. I use them to prevent foot cramping from an old foot injury. Fins with booties seem to cramp that foot. The Force Fin does not because of its design.

Back
Top Bottom