Wee Hawk & Conestoga

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simcoediver

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have enjoyed diving the Conestoga several times as it is a nice interesting relaxing dive, but I understand that there's another wreck called the Wee Hawk further upstream that allows you to do the drift thru both wrecks?
Where do you enter the water to see the Wee Hawk and drift down to the Conestoga?

Lock 27 / Lock 28. Personally I would just go to the end of peninsula of the connie and drift down to the connie vs parking your car at lock 27 swimming through weehawk then swimming to the eddie current that pushes you through to the river then the connie.... If you want to go one weekend or an evening Id be glad to dive with you and show you. The weehawk is very small

I love entering the water at the Wee Hawk, drifting to the bight, get spit out into the St Lawrence, then stay at 25 feet until you bump your head on the Conestoga!
It involves a 2nd vehicle to drive you back to the entry point, but I think its worth it. You CAN swim/hike back to the entry point but its a lot of work.
Entry point at the Wee Hawk is at the bottom of Gallup Canal Rd, just west of Cardinal. From the parking lot there, walk over the metal bridge, then follow the path to your right and you will hit the spot.
Look here: Google Maps
Great 10 foot jump into the lock, take a peak at the wreck (not much to see other than the plack) then let the current take you around the concrete wall and down the canal. You will cross under the foot bridge, lots of fish hanging around, then slow drift to the opening into the main channel. If you hit it right its quite a ride, then 20-25 feet and you will hit the Conny.

Dive flag highly recommended, there can be lots of boat traffic to contend with.

Lock 28 drift? My favorite! I highly recommend taking a flag/bouy along with you... Lots of boating and fishing in the area.

As the others have said, park at the end of Galop Canal and walk over the footbridge, hang right and you'll see your entry. I'm not sure about the 10' jump but you can walk down into the old lock and do a standard shore entry. They've recently mowed all the tall grass/weeds and chopped down a lot of the trees so it's a much more pleasant walk.

From shore you can swim around the Weehawk, it's small honestly. When you're done head north and let the current do the work. From the time you start into the current; the drift should take 15-20 minutes before you'll get pulled south and shot out into the river. Keep in mind the boat traffic, they're coming around a corner and might not see the flag in time and the shoot-out is pretty shallow, stay low. Otherwise, it is the best part of the dive! Keep an eye on the bottom at set yourself up at about 20'. Just as you're wondering if you've somehow missed the wreck, it'll be right in front of you.

If you have two vehicles you can do the car shuffle and end your dive on the Connie. Otherwise if you have plenty of air you can exit at the Connie, walk to the end (near where you shot out), hop back in on the north side and swim northwest back to the bridge on Galop Canal that you drove over to park. The shore exit involves going over an old sluthesgate, the current can be pretty harsh at that point though, but the stairs are no picnic either. I typically just end the dive with a few laps of the Connie.

WeehawktoConnie.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom