Weekend dive trip leaving from Davao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jennye

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all!
I am staying here in Davao and am looking for somewhere to escape to for a weekend of diving. I've explored the coral gardens and wall (which seem to be the only two sites charters regularly go to here) plenty of times and am ready for a change with a bit more diversity.

I was looking into places that I can fly to directly from Davao (Cebu and Cagayan de Oro seem like the best options...). And since I only have a weekend (Fri-Sun or Mon) I'm trying to minimize transportation time. I read some about Moalboal and Malapascua (I'd love to see some threshers!), but both of those seem like I'll spend a lot of the time in a car. Is there anywhere closer to the city of Cebu itself with comparable diving? I haven't had a chance yet to read up on Cagayan...

Any recommendations or inputs for places to go, and thoughts about if the travel time is worth it would be much appreciated!

Thanks! Ciao.

If you dont mind paying for the private car(2500Php) I would recommend flying Thursday afternoon to Cebu, Catching a Private Van to Moalboal, you would arrive in the evening get a good nights sleep and be ready to dive Friday Morning. Your other options would be to catch a ferry over to Bohol and spending a couple of days in Panglao or Tagbilaran(diving Balicasag or Cabilao). From Cebu Airport your travel time is slightly longer to Bohol than to Moalboal
And of course you can coordinate private transportation to Malapascua as well.

Mactan is another place in Cebu that you can dive, Although I have done more than 35 dives there, I have never been a big fan of the dives in Mactan..

have you got wheels?

why not just going to gensan for a long week end?

you can try paul partrdge at southpoint divers in Sarangani past GenSan or you can hop on a bus and go to Duka bay in misamis near the pier where you take the ferry to camiguin.

Thanks for all the replies!
I do not have access to wheels....so GenSan would be a bit difficult. And I have a Camiguin trip planned in a few weeks with some colleagues...so I'll just wait till then to head there.

Looks like it'll be Moalboal or Malapascua. Hopefully the dive shops will be making a trip to pick up other people in Cebu and I can just join in for the private car or van trip to cut the cost a bit. Any recommendations for a reasonable and friendly dive shop and/or resort in Malapascua or Moalboal?
Thanks again!

try evolution in malapascua. you can pm matt reed here on scubaboard.

i myself would still try to go to gensan - public bus? rent a car? over night boat?

when heading to cebu my choice would be malapascua. i quote the diving there supirior over moalboal. although overland travel is about 1 hour longer but well worthwhile

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom