Weekend OW springs trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Josh_caves

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Similar question to gatoremt, but didn't want to hijack his thread.

I'm looking at a weekend road trip in a week for 4 OW divers (no cavern or cave) from AL to check out some FL springs. Here's my draft plan after researching on scubaboard and elsewhere. Would love to hear if you have any thoughts or suggestions, since none of us have ever been near here. Will need to rent tanks along the way, so that is the only reason I dropped Troy springs off the list.

Friday August 10th
  • Drive early to Ponce De Leon, FL
  • Rent tanks at Vortex
  • Dive 1: Morrison Springs
  • Fill tanks at Vortex
  • Dive 2: Vortex Springs
  • Drive (4 hours) to Gainsville, FL
  • Airbnb/hotel in Gainsville? Any good craft cocktail bars?
Saturday August 11th
  • Rent tanks at Blue Grotto
  • Dive 3,4: Blue Grotto and Devil’s Den (should we try to do both?)
    • BG: $44/day + Tank rentals
  • Dive 5: Rainbow River drift dive (be there by noon)
  • Return tanks to Blue Grotto
  • Airbnb in Gainsville? Any good craft beer bars?
Sunday August 12th
  • Dive 6: Ginnie Springs/Santa Fe River drift dive (rent tanks here)
  • Drive (8 hours) home
Thanks! I've heard about the limited vis right now due to the rain. Hoping it clears up by then, but we could divert down to the gulf if it comes to that.

Last edited:
I've dove all but Ginnie. All worth doing once or twice. Vortex is really good for training, but interesting to dive. I've used it to try out new gear.

Rainbow River is the most fun since you're drifting and there's decent marine life.

Have fun

I would flip dive 1 and 2. Vortex is better first thing, popular training location so visibility gets progressively worse (lots of algae can get kicked up) as the day progresses. Morrison Springs minus any heavy rains stayed pretty clear most of the day. Either way you have to drive back to Vortex for either a fill or tank return. Last time I dove both was Fall 2016. Don't know if anything has changed.

Also, Vortex Springs has a $20/diver admission fee.

I would do Ginnie and BG/DD the same day and crystal river on a day by itself bc it’s a couple of hours from your central location of Gainesviile. Thinking about it, to get the most bang for your buck, I’d probably do Ginnie and BG/DD the saturdat and Crystal River Sunday - at Ginnie, you could try the ballroom in the late afternoon and then stay as late as you want in the run and basin.

Also you might want to look into some of the local options for lodging near High Springs / Ft White. You could rent tanks much cheaper locally for Sat and get exposed to one of the local dive shops.

@Capt Jim Wyatt just posted about his place in Ft White, although I’m not sure how many beds he has there (may not be 4). Here is the link: Short Term Rental for Cave Divers-10 mins from Ginnie

Similar question to gatoremt, but didn't want to hijack his thread.

I'm looking at a weekend road trip in a week for 4 OW divers (no cavern or cave) from AL to check out some FL springs. Here's my draft plan after researching on scubaboard and elsewhere. Would love to hear if you have any thoughts or suggestions, since none of us have ever been near here. Will need to rent tanks along the way, so that is the only reason I dropped Troy springs off the list.

Friday August 10th
  • Drive early to Ponce De Leon, FL
  • Rent tanks at Vortex
  • Dive 1: Morrison Springs
  • Fill tanks at Vortex
  • Dive 2: Vortex Springs
  • Drive (4 hours) to Gainsville, FL
  • Airbnb/hotel in Gainsville? Any good craft cocktail bars?
Saturday August 11th
  • Rent tanks at Blue Grotto
  • Dive 3,4: Blue Grotto and Devil’s Den (should we try to do both?)
    • BG: $44/day + Tank rentals
  • Dive 5: Rainbow River drift dive (be there by noon)
  • Return tanks to Blue Grotto
  • Airbnb in Gainsville? Any good craft beer bars?
Sunday August 12th
  • Dive 6: Ginnie Springs/Santa Fe River drift dive (rent tanks here)
  • Drive (8 hours) home
Thanks! I've heard about the limited vis right now due to the rain. Hoping it clears up by then, but we could divert down to the gulf if it comes to that.

Oops - looks like The Rum House isn’t available until Sept - but it’s a good option for your next trip.

I would flip dive 1 and 2. Vortex is better first thing, popular training location so visibility gets progressively worse (lots of algae can get kicked up) as the day progresses. Morrison Springs minus any heavy rains stayed pretty clear most of the day. Either way you have to drive back to Vortex for either a fill or tank return. Last time I dove both was Fall 2016. Don't know if anything has changed.

Also, Vortex Springs has a $20/diver admission fee.
Good call. I'll flip them for sure. Thanks!

I would do Ginnie and BG/DD the same day and crystal river on a day by itself bc it’s a couple of hours from your central location of Gainesviile. Thinking about it, to get the most bang for your buck, I’d probably do Ginnie and BG/DD the saturdat and Crystal River Sunday - at Ginnie, you could try the ballroom in the late afternoon and then stay as late as you want in the run and basin.

Also you might want to look into some of the local options for lodging near High Springs / Ft White. You could rent tanks much cheaper locally for Sat and get exposed to one of the local dive shops.

@Capt Jim Wyatt just posted about his place in Ft White, although I’m not sure how many beds he has there (may not be 4). Here is the link: Short Term Rental for Cave Divers-10 mins from Ginnie
Appreciate the feedback! Good call on visiting one of the local dive shops. Couple points of clarification.
  1. Add Crystal River to the schedule? I was thinking Rainbow River, since it is closer to everything.
  2. For Saturday, do BG/DD first thing in the morning, and Ginnie in the afternoon?
  3. I'm not familiar with Ginnie. Is the Ballroom appropriate for non-cavern/cave divers? What's the "run and basin" at Ginnie?

It's been a couple of years since I dove Ginnie, but as I recall they limit the number of divers. Not sure if any of the other springs do as well. So you might want to check on that, and if so and diving on the weekend plan to get there early.

Manatee limits the number of divers; I haven’t heard of Ginnie limiting divers since I’ve been diving here, for the last 8 years or so.

It's been a couple of years since I dove Ginnie, but as I recall they limit the number of divers. Not sure if any of the other springs do as well. So you might want to check on that, and if so and diving on the weekend plan to get there early.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom