Weigh in Halcyon Eclipse, Pioneer or Zeagle Stilletto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm... on second thought...

... if you dive naked on a sunny day, then that storage pak might save a blister or two!

Just kidding!

I thought about diving naked but then remembered the shrinkage factor :lol:

Deus:
Doesn't that metal backplate on the Halycon feel uncomforatble?

Well, BP/W (meaning backplate and wing) tend to be metal plates. They do look uncomfortable, but if you do some reading here, you'll find few complaints about how they feel, especially underwater.

I honestly think you would do yourself a favor to do a bit more homework. Putting a padded cover on a backplate, in the eyes of many people, eliminates one of the beautiful things about BP/W systems: that they are trim, minimalist pieces of gear without a lot of extra padding, pockets, etc. Your suprise at the look of a BP/W tells me you haven't read much about them, and scubaboard has a LOT to read about BP/W systems.

Do some searches here for some of the threads comparing back-inflate BCDs to BP/w units and you'll start to get a feel for it. A BP/W is generally always a metal plate with a bladder attached and a very simple harness. That's it. A back-inflate BC is like the ones you probably got certified in, except all the inflation is on the back, like a BP/W. Still, you can get back-inflate BCDs that have pockets, integrated weight, and all the frills. The other option is a "traditional" vest BCD with inflation around the front of the BC too. The majority of divers who try it seem to be moving toward back-inflation because of its better trim and less cluttered feel.

The back-inflate BCD is far more popular with recreational divers than is the BP/W. For divers who will be diving doubles and technical diving, a BP/W is more often a good choice.

Do some reading and you'll be able to more clearly determine which suits you.

Cheers! :D

Gregg

PS - if your next question goes something like "Won't a back-inflate tend to push me forward at the surface?" then you REALLY need to do a bit more research before trying to decide on a rig for you. Good luck! :)

LOL No I know that the push is minimal and that lying back should remedy this. I just got confused because if you go to http://www.zeagle.com and click on Backplate BCs on the left it will take you to the Stiletto. ??? I understand the difference now and realize I DO need to do more reading. It will be a long night :wink:

Deus:
LOL No I know that the push is minimal and that lying back should remedy this. I just got confused because if you go to http://www.zeagle.com and click on Backplate BCs on the left it will take you to the Stiletto. ??? I understand the difference now and realize I DO need to do more reading. It will be a long night :wink:
No...If you click on the Recreational BC link it will take you to the Stilletto

http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?src=gendocs&link=Stiletto&submenu=RecreationalBC

Deus:
I just got confused because if you go to http://www.zeagle.com and click on Backplate BCs on the left it will take you to the Stiletto. ???

Actually it stays on our homepage, which happens to have a Stiletto at the bottom of the page. If you select from the drop down menu it will take you to the standard or deluxe BP harnesses.

Sorry our site is a little confusing to navigate sometimes.

My $.02... I far prefer a Stiletto to a BP&W.

Chad

Here's another vote for the Stiletto!!!

Why? The Stiletto won't pack quite as compactly as a bp/w but it packs a lot more in terms of features. If you get a bp/w and add the features then you've lost or all the compact packability of a bp/w.

Mainly, I'm talking about a nice integrated weight system, dumpable rear trim pouches and pockets.

Don Janni:
Here's another vote for the Stiletto!!!

Why? The Stiletto won't pack quite as compactly as a bp/w but it packs a lot more in terms of features. If you get a bp/w and add the features then you've lost or all the compact packability of a bp/w.

Mainly, I'm talking about a nice integrated weight system, dumpable rear trim pouches and pockets.

The rear trim pockets are dumpable on a Zeagle? I don't have one, but my wife has a Zena and it has tank weight pockets and two dumpable pockets on the waist (not what I think of as "rear" pouches, but maybe that's where I'm confused). The tank pockets aren't dumpable.

Frankly, I think dumpability of weights is a way overemphasized feature in the purchase process. If you suddenly drop all weight at depth, it's as likely to do you harm as not. The only place I can really see wanting to dump weights is the surface in the event of BC failure, and I don't need any fancy pockets to do that. Drop weight belt or open pockets and drop weights. The more I think about it, redundant buoyancy seems a better solution for a potential failed bladder at the surface...say a drysuit or large sausage/lift bag.

And as far as integrated weight...you can't beat a 5 pound stainless plate with 8 pounds of stainless bolted to it. Now THAT's integrated :wink:

Gregg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom