Weight adjustment when changing tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My experience with Red Sea diving is that they use 15L Steel and 12L Aluminum tanks; changing down to the 12L in this case I have had to add 2kg, as suggested by the OP.

If a person needs to add weight because the empty tank is too buoyant during the safety stop, should it just be added onto the tank? The reason I ask is because I've been using rental AL80's and I only use 8 lbs of weight in my integrated BC pockets. I don't put any air in my BC except on the surface. I can control my buoyancy with my breathing. However, at a 15-20' safety stop with very little air in the tank, I struggle a bit to hold the stop. What should I do?

If you don't want to struggle at the stop add a couple pounds. On the tank or somewhere else does not matter on staying down at the stop. If you add the weight to the tank or not mostly matters on the bottom when you are horizontal getting your trim set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you don't want to struggle at the stop add a couple pounds. On the tank or somewhere else does not matter on staying down at the stop. If you add the weight to the tank or not mostly matters on the bottom when you are horizontal getting your trim set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NO, NO never do THIS! Scuba diving is a competitive sport, you will never win any bonus points unless you have the absolute minimum amount of lead on your belt! No mater that you can't breath comfortably on your stop, it is much more important to reduce your lead,,

It's been said before above, but the simple rule when changing tanks is to look at the empty buoyancy. If a tank is more buoyant when when empty than your present tank you just add an amount of lead equal to the difference.

Please...you're not a real diver unless you can make your safety stop with a nearly empty Al 80, no lead, and a fully-inflated 20 lb lift bag attached to your BP/W...

Please...you're not a real diver unless you can make your safety stop with a nearly empty Al 80, no lead, and a fully-inflated 20 lb lift bag attached to your BP/W...

Guess I'll take up knitting because I'll never be a real diver with those requirements! :cheeky:

My dive book i have the huron tank spec sheet inserted. i weight for my own tanks and use the chart to find the weight change for tanks when i have to rent them. I always have to add weight cause my tanks are steel and usually rentals are al. normally the difference is about 3-4 lbs.

---------- Post added September 25th, 2013 at 04:14 PM ----------

My dive book i have the huron tank spec sheet inserted. i weight for my own tanks and use the chart to find the weight change for tanks when i have to rent them. I always have to add weight cause my tanks are steel and usually rentals are al. normally the difference is about 3-5 lbs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom