Weight calculations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a side note, when going from full 7mm, hood and gloves in FW to a 3mm shortie in salt, does anyone know roughly how much the 3mm shortie will offset my buoyancy from the full 7mm, hood and gloves? Couple, 3, 4 pounds I'm guessing? I'm trying to come up with a good estimate for a G. Cayman trip. To complicate matters I'm going from rental BC's (28# lead fw) to a new BP/W (FredT 9# SS, new oxycheq 45#wing. 2# on the STA's) so I'm told I may loose a few lbs. of "hidden" buoyancy that was in the BC (trapped air?) as compared to the BP/W.

We started from scratch.......Use me as an example.

I weigh 240 lbs.

I'm going diving in Florida wearing a 3mm wetsuit.

How would you figure from there ?

I don't have an easy formula, but would like one !!

fgray1 once bubbled...
For a wet suit add 1 lb per mill. thickness.

If this is correct then I'm guessing a 4# drop going from a 7mm to a 3mm. Of course the 7mm was a full suit and the shorty.....well you get the idea, less material. Then I subtract the 7mm hood and 5mm gloves, maybe another 1# or so.....?

Tank size and constuction
Salt or fresh water or figure for both.
We need a starting weight. To make coparison
Starting weight is determined by equipment configuration.
There are a lot of factors to consider.
God this is fun. I love to make my brain work.
Fred

Providing you are using the all the same equiptment
Your in the ballpark. That is unless you take the 2 extra LPS for the underweighted dive buddy.
Fred:D

fgray1 once bubbled...
Providing you are using the all the same equiptment
Your in the ballpark. That is unless you take the 2 extra LPS for the underweighted dive buddy.
Fred:D
Gotcha! Unless of course "I'm" the underweighted buddy :)
I felt like a cork a few times in my OW and AOW dives.......
Good thing they were relatively shallow dives, 25-35 ffw.
I'm learning.......

You asked for the weight differance between a 7mm suit and a 3mm shorty. My calculation was assuming al other factors have already been taken into cosideration.
The 2 best classes I have ever taken were weight calulating and peak bouyancy. With these my SAC rate went down and my comfort level went up.
Fred

fgray1 once bubbled...
You asked for the weight differance between a 7mm suit and a 3mm shorty. My calculation was assuming al other factors have already been taken into cosideration.
The 2 best classes I have ever taken were weight calulating and peak bouyancy. With these my SAC rate went down and my comfort level went up.
Fred

Thanks Fred,
Yes I was able to answer my question with all info presented. Sorry if I got off track, don't mean to highjack.
Just getting carried away..........:wacko:

I'm calling the POLICE:D
Thread high jacker Thread HIGH JACKER
HELP, HELP, HELP:eek:
WHAT WILL I DO NOW:confused:
EVERY BODY GET OUT OF HERE THERES, A LOBSTER LOSE
Keep diving
Fred

If I ever figure out the weights, then I guess I might truly enjoy the sport. I weigh 260 and was fine on 60' dive at West Palm Beach salt water wtih 23# wearing 5mm full suit. I go to Ginnie Springs at 20' with 5mm and 3mm shortie. I have to fight to stay down withabout 36# on belt and stuffed in my suit, looked like I was 8 months pregnent. Any help or comments?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom