weight intergrated bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finnatic:
Instead of one weight belt, you will have 2 pouches to keep track of and hand up to a rocking boat.

True, but you are also handing up half as much weight each time, which could be an advantage.

Finnatic:
DMs do not like to lug around a loaded BC, so there is a lot of loading and unloading.

I started a thread related to this issue:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t64947.html

I think the consensus was that that's their job. Personally I think that it is, and if they don’t complain, they improve their chances of getting a tip at the end of the day ;^)

I started out with 26lb, grits61. I got tired of the boy BCD that I was renting at the LDS and it's accompanying weight belt *UGH*. I picked up the Diva LX with its weight integration system.

***LOVE IT*** Much better than the weight belt. It's easier to add/remove weight (IMHO), and way less bulky. I could fit the 26lb all in the BCD (in the wi system itself and a small 2lb in each pocket), rather than most on the weight belt and some in my pockets. 'Sides, my luck, I couldn't get the weight belt to pull tight enough (also being "fluffy") and the weights would shift. And it was a PITA to get on boat with that weight belt. I can pop out the main part of the wi and hand it up to the nice deck hand before shamoo'ing onto the boat.

Though, I've found that I'm now down to 22lb after only a few dives, and I still think I can take off another 2-4lb the next time I go out. Exhailing and a bit of surface diving is a good thing <tm>. Got those tips right here on this board :)

Yes weight integrated is really good, but I would echo the comments made above - go with one that has latches not just velcro (my seaquest eva has dropped a pocket on more than one occassion).

Look for a BC that also allows you to put some weight in little (non ditchable) pockets on the back, generally better for trim. It also makes handling the pockets easier especially with the weight you will have.

Check how easy it is to get stuff in and out of pockets with the weights in (if possible try it in the water not just the shop).

Alison

I dive a weight integrated BCD and love it. I’ve had bruises on my hips from soft weight belts and didn’t like that at all.

I’m a cold water diver and with a dry suit, I wear 26lbs plus the steel 72 tank on my back. I have no problems putting all my weight in the pockets of the Zeagle Ranger that I dive, but I also distribute the weight between the front pockets and the tank pockets on the back. (Ten in each front pocket, and three in each tank pocket).

While I haven’t noticed any trim issues, I’m a new diver (down from 38 lbs to 26lbs, yay!!!) and I’m still figuring out my buoyancy.

The other nice part about diving WI, is that it’s one less piece of gear to put on or worry about. I find it’s also nice have the pockets on the tank because it makes for a quick change in weight without having to fuss with a weight belt or the pockets on the front of the BCD.

Imagine shifting most of the weight to your backplate, only 4 pounds on your weight belt, not having the restraint that a BC introduces, especially the jacket types. Why would anyone still go the BC route??? I would recommend you look at the backplate/wing setups. Not going to cost you more and will allow much more underwater freedom.

grits61:
I'm buying my bc this week, and was wondering on yalls opinion of going totally wi, or partial wi and partial weight belt? I'm a new diver, and I'm thinking wi with no weight belt! I'm a "fluffy" woman, and use 26 lbs. weight. Any opinions?

I have a Seaquest Diva LX w/i BC. I spent most of my scuba class praying that I wouldn't have to ditch my weight belt, because I am so short waisted that the weight belt ended up under the rental BC. Needless to say the weight belt skills for certification were a real pain to do. As soon as I could I went for a w/i BC of my own. It also helps get rid of the weights digging into the top of the hips problem.

Like others have said, see if you can borrow a w/i BC to try before you buy. Many of the w/i BCs have "trim" pockets on the tank straps or in the back of the BC that can help with stability once you figure out where you want to put the different weights.

I have also tried a Libra and Ladyhawk w/i BCs and found them comfortable and easy to dive with.

Christine

:bfish:

I'm a little late from the looks of things (dates of posts) but wanted to add to the discussion...I have a Zeagle Escape and absolutely love it! I had not heard of "women's" bcs before getting it but wouldn't trade it. I didn't like the weight belt in my courses and was glad to get my own gear to complete my advanced course without the belt. I wear 22 lbs in cold, fresh water with 2pc 7mm each neoprene. 2 pockets in the front and 2 by the tank really make weight adjustments easy (current, only 1 pce, etc.) All pockets have quick releases to dump if need be. I'm really happy with the WI system!

nope, not late at all... a week or two is not late on here

somepeople, though, answer questions that are a year or more old... lol... that's
a bit late

I'm a diver of 2 years and I've worn a w.i. BC and I wasn't a big fan of it. My upper body isn't that strong so when I have to put my equipment on I prefer not to have to lift all the weight I need on to my back. If I shore dive I just wait until I'm in the water to put in the weight but if I'm boat I kind of don't have a choice, in my opinion I would get a partial w.i. BC so I didn't have to lift ALL of the weight but not have so much around my hips where it digs in and hurts. Just my opinion.

I dive a Ladyhawk and love it. As suggested in other posts in this thread, it has rear pockets for non-ditchable weight and all weight pockets/pouches use clips not velcro. Once donned, the weight pouches sit well above my hips and are very comfortable.

I would advise against using a weight belt with WI. Without a full load, the belt tended to migrate around my waist. Ugh!

~LittleFrog

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom