Question Weight Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deezer-D

Registered
Reaction score
I’m trying to work out how to sort my weighting out on my current BPW setup.
Diving in cold, salt water. Current setup -
Apeks WTX-40 wing
Apeks SS Backplate
Apeks Surelock Weight System

IMG_3890.jpeg

With a steel 15L, Trilam Drysuit, 200 undersuit, dry gloves and hood I need 10kg weight. With a 12L steel I need 12kgs.
I’m trying to come up with a solution without the surelock system as the pockets are bulky and hard to load especially on a RIB. I have 2 Apeks trim weight pockets that take 2Kgs each that I mount on the top cam band.

With the 15L and 2Kg in each trim pocket the rig is fairly heavy which is why I prefer to put the weight pockets in once I have it on.

I thinking a weight belt is a cleaner option.
Current thinking is 8Kg (4 x 2) on belt with 1Kg in each trim pocket for 15L and 2Kg in each trim pocket for 12L.
My concern is 8Kg on a belt is quite heavy especially when removing and handing up to the boat (no ladders on RIB so just pull yourself up and in).
Also there’s the issue of loosing a webbing weight belt at depth.
I’ve read posts about rubber freediving weight belts so I’ve ordered this one to try.

IMG_5003.jpeg

I also have one of these

IMG_5001.jpeg

The above belt has a quick release handle on it which would help handing it up to the boat.
The concern with the rubber belt is dropping it.

Open to suggestions as to how to keep things as simple and streamlined and what other people’s setups are.

A 8 kg belt should not be that hard to hand up, if you are a man with normal arm strength, You might need a little practice removing it, if you are using a crotch strap on the BP/W. That type of weight belt you ordered is very secure and should not pop open unexpectedly.

Fashion yourself some weight plates, makes the extra more manageable

010.JPG

Back
Top Bottom