Question where to place trim pockets on center of tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crclark96

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Hollis ST22 BPW setup and usually I dive with my trim pockets straddling my tank on the top tank band. I like to put about 1/3 of my weight in the trim pockets and the rest in quick release pockets around my waist.

I have a new wetsuit which requires less weight, but my shop only carries weights in denominations of 2lbs or more, so I want to reposition a trim pocket to be centered on the back of my tank so I can wear less weight without rolling to one side and being lopsided.

Here's the question: do I attach the weight pocket to the outer velcro strap or the inner strap that contacts the tank? I don't want to have to velcro over the weight pocket but I also think putting it on the outside is problematic since it'll make changing tanks more inconvenient.

I have one of these I use occasionally.
It sits in the groove of my backplate. In the middle.

I put mine on the Velcro... Just makes sure the Velcro is in good shape and that the weight doesn't flop around in the pocket, or it will pull the Velcro loose. Changing tanks is no big deal, I just put the weight pocket on the bench while I swap the tanks.

Order the weights online in the sizes you need so you can leave the pockets where you want them. Why let your LDS make that decision for you? For trips where I take my 3mm suit I bring along a pair of 1# weights for the upper cam band.

The issue with a single weight on the tank is that it's inherently unstable to roll. I would stick with two pouches. If, because of available bricks, your trim suffers, then move to the lower band (or do one upper and one lower, but still opposite sides).

I always keep two 1lb soft weights in my dive gear, even when flying to travel. Comes in handy in exactly this situation, which I have found to be pretty common

You've probably sorted it out by now, but here is the solution I use: Spine weight (soft V weight holder mentioned above) that you fill with your own lead. I took two 3 lb soft weights and took 1.5 lbs out of each of them. I now have 3 lbs in my spine weight and 2 x 1.5 lb trim weights. If you are handy with a sewing machine you could probably sew the weights shut that you robbed. I just used a couple wraps of duct tape. And yes, you can throw 3 lbs into your carry on if you really must.

Have you ever done a bulk buy of shotgun pellets

and then found someones mum, or me

377 024 (1).JPG

See the sack on the machine..............well I turned it into this

386 020 (4).JPG

what do you think

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom