Weighted STA - SMS 100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba127

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering if anyone on the board has expirience with marrying up a weighted STA with the Hollis SMS 100 sidemount rig....if so, I'd appreciate some recommendations on which one you've found works the best. Thanks in advance.

I'll assume you are actually doing sidemount and just using the weighted STAs for ballast?

Assuming that's the case, the DiveRite Nomad weight system is probably easier to use.

You are correct Beano....the dive rite nomad weight system will fit onto the SMS 100 then?

Except the Dive Rite weight plate is on the bulky side if you only need a few pounds of ballast. I've used a soft v weight like rjack along the center of my Dive Rite Nomad using the sex bolts to secure it. The same could be done with the SMS100. Something else I've done is add about an 18 inch long piece of 2 inch webbing across the back of the rig on the inside. I can slide up to 4 lbs on each side and hold them in place using triglides and that puts more ballast on my back just under my scapulae keeping the ballast in a better position for trim and keeping it out of the way.

Thanks for the input. I'll give these options some thought. Let me ask you this. If a sidemount diver chooses to weight aluminum 80's to make them behave more like steel tanks, say 2lbs on each tank, is that 4lbs. factored into required ballast or is it ignored in those calcs because their ballast would be made neutral when the aluminums begin to become more bouyant as they are breathed down?

With the sms100 i have, I only need 4lbs lead, so what i have done is place the weight underneath the velcro padding and then thread some webbing around the slots that are there.....keeps the weight under the harness/plate....keeps it snug, and I don't feel a thing

Except the Dive Rite weight plate is on the bulky side if you only need a few pounds of ballast. I've used a soft v weight like rjack along the center of my Dive Rite Nomad using the sex bolts to secure it. The same could be done with the SMS100. Something else I've done is add about an 18 inch long piece of 2 inch webbing across the back of the rig on the inside. I can slide up to 4 lbs on each side and hold them in place using triglides and that puts more ballast on my back just under my scapulae keeping the ballast in a better position for trim and keeping it out of the way.

Rob,

I run a piece of webbing on the outside up the back of the SMS100. Are you saying you put the weights inside between the padding and the back of the nomad?

Matt

Rob,

I run a piece of webbing on the outside up the back of the SMS100. Are you saying you put the weights inside between the padding and the back of the nomad?

Matt

Its what I do with the sms100, keeps things nice and clean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom