Weighting strategy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are thinking of dividing weights, I think that putting more than you are contemplating on the tank is valuable. When I used to use a BCD like yours, I found that if I had half my weights in the waist area and half my weights up by my shoulders, it really helped me trim out and swim with minimal effort.

When you describe your weight system, it makes me think you have a Zeagle. If so, on the Zeagles I have seen, they have weight pockets on the lower of the two cam bands, and they cannot be transferred to the upper cam bands instead. This makes no sense to me. Their "trim pockets" put the trim weights either even with or lower than the pocket weights. I want tank trim weights up on the upper cam band (or only cam band), where they will help me get my desired trim.

Here is an example of pockets that can be added to cam bands or other places: XS Scuba Velcro Weight Pocket | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

There are actually different variations of these for different uses.

doctormike
However, you should be able to ditch weights on the surface. Lots of stories of people who made it to the surface after some sort of emergency but then sank again and were found with their weights in place.

In case someone missed it.

I like to keep my belt weight below 16# so that the belt is a more manageable weight, so that there are less problems with putting on the belt securely and being able to take it off and hand it to someone if needed. Because I need a 7mm Farmer John around here, I favor steel tanks and a steel BP/W to help keep the weight off the belt, I have weight pockets on the cam bands for trim and the rest of the weight on the belt. The key is being properly weighted in the first place, and having an ongoing gear inspection program to avoid issues that bring about problems underwater.

Dropping the belt at depth should be the last option in your bag of tricks, as the result may be trading one emergency for another.

Bob
--------------------------
Always remember that the chances of bending your computer and coming out OK are much higher than the chances of running out of air and coming out OK ... go with the odds. NWGratefulDiver

Last edited:
Dropping the belt at depth should be the last option in your bag of tricks, as the result may be trading one emergency for another.
I pretty much agree with this, but not everyone else does. We have had some recent ScubaBoard threads in which some participants have said the opposite, almost advocating dropping weights at depth at the first sign of trouble and referring to those who don't as "morons."

is there any problem to only use a belt ? i guess if i carry some in BCD pockets , in an emergency i could drop the belt but still make some kind of controlled ascend? as i still have weights on BCD. Is this correct?

11.5kg is like 25lb. Persoanlly, it is way too much for weight belt. Also way too much for ditchable weight

Drop 25 all at once and a meat missle you become lol

If you drop your belt and lose all your weight you're going up no matter what. You can flare and slow the ascent but by definition it is an uncontrolled ascent.

Ultimately splitting your weight should primarily be for giving you a balanced rig, one that doesn't scoot your center of gravity too far to one extremity. It allows you to keep horizontal more naturally, rather than feet down or head down when you're relaxed and hovering.

And for me, the reasoning is more about this. I've been working on my trim and buoyancy quite a bit, and I've gotten to where I can roll over onto my back without a change in depth. Having the weights more evenly distributed has helped immensely (I think my drysuit also helps as the bubble rotates with me).

I'm worried less about dumping I guess, more so for how my wife and I would distribute the weight and make it easier to send one of us up quickly in a real emergency. (God forbid). With my background in flying, it isn't enough to just avoid potential hazards, you need to know what to do if one finds you. For instance, an electrical fire in the cockpit isn't the time to pull out the emergency procedures and try and read it. In like fashion, I'd like to distribute my weights to ensure that my buddy and I have the best chance of helping one another in an emergency.

---------- Post added August 26th, 2014 at 09:13 AM ----------

11.5kg is like 25lb. Persoanlly, it is way too much for weight belt. Also way too much for ditchable weight

Boulder/Jim/Spectre = appreciate the thoughts...

I'm working on the reason I need 11.5kg anyway, but that solution will take months, if not a year or more (you just can't beat the physiology of fat being buoyant, and at $3.00 plus a guys gotta pay the piper for it)... doesn't mean I have to end up with back pain... I'm built like a fireplug anyway, so I can manage 6-7.5kg on my waist before I feel it after a couple dives (and on a 4 dive day any more will require a dose of Dr Doan's overnight)... that's the reason I'm wondering if there is a good mix... recognizing that the day I need to dump everything might never come.

I'll post a little story though about such an incident. (yes, 29 dives and I have a story).

Anyway, here's how I have it configured with my dry suit (when I go back to warm water next week, I will get to drop 3kg, yippee!!).. also note, this set up was with a 12L aluminum tank (200bar)... so it's positive when empty.. I personally like using a steel tank that gives me a little negative at the end of a dive... but those steel tanks are hard to find around here.

So, with this I put 1.5kg in each pocket, and then 7.5kg (2kg - 1.5kg -1.5kg - 2kg) on my belt, and 1.5 kg threaded on my tank strap (I know, I know, I'm getting a weight pocket instead), but I did safety the strap with a zip tie so it wouldn't drop the weight.

That was pretty balanced, and as I did a little underwater gymnastics, felt like holding trim in any position worked well, that and I could use my drysuit just for warmth, not much buouancy, leave that to the BCD.

Back
Top Bottom