Weights.... DIY?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zoomer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have been looking around for soft weights for my wife. It seems there is a premium on lead these days. I'm curious if anyone has made their own soft weights? I priced out 26 lbs of weight, was a little over 100.00 Now I can buy a whole lot of lead shot for that and make my own, only thing missing is the material to make the bags.
Anyone else done this? Where or what did you use for material to make the bags?

Thanks

Over the years a lot of us have done it. There use to be someone on here who sold the bags already made. I have used the nylon flag material that was used for the home flags that were popular a few years ago. For lead you will want to use sizes that are somewhat larger than the normal shot. The common 6-8 size is really too small. 4 to BB is better. If you have access to a gun range with a dirt berm, collecting spent rounds, cleaning them and using them in weight bags is an option.....I have 15 lbs or so done that way.

Come to think of it I may have a 25 lbs bag of number 4 from when I used to reload my own shotgun shells.... it's just crazy... 4.00 a lbs for soft weights? What the heck happen to the price of lead?

however you get the lead is up to you, but personally I use smaller shot for the simple fact that it packs into a slightly smaller space than the equivalent weight of larger shot. I went to WalMart and got material for outdoor furniture and then sewed them up. It was all relatively cheap.

Come to think of it I may have a 25 lbs bag of number 4 from when I used to reload my own shotgun shells.... it's just crazy... 4.00 a lbs for soft weights? What the heck happen to the price of lead?

Lead has quadrupled in price in just the past two years. China was exporting 60% of the worlds lead supply. Now, they export NONE. They are using all they can mine.

Lead has quadrupled in price in just the past two years. China was exporting 60% of the worlds lead supply. Now, they export NONE. They are using all they can mine.

From the number of recalls that comes from the CPSC, they're using it for paint.

They're making bullets..............the next war will be here.

I know my local dive shop has a 30 gal trash can full of lead fishing sinkers that club members have pulled up off the bottom over the years. Cheap source of dive weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom