Weights.... DIY?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Old batteries, many years ago I opened a car battery and melted the panels in there, about 2-3 pounds in a a battery, at the time the deposit on a a battery was $5 and lead was .50 so not worth it but at $4# might get the old batteries out.

Zoomer:

I've made my own soft weights out of lead shot and the easiest, cheapest way I found was panty hose. No joke! Basically you buy a cheap pair of panty hose or use a pair your wife is probably going to get rid of anyway. Then you cut it so it's more like thigh highs. Next you fill the feet with the amount of weight necessary and tie a knot above it. Wrap the panty hose back on the weight ball, and tie another knot. Wrap it back again, tie another knot. Repeat until you have at least 5 layers, but you can keep going and do the whole leg if you want. The material eventually snags so the more layers you have, the longer they last.

While I stopped diving with my panty hose weights a long time ago it worked great for a several years. Built 'em in '95 and I still have them! The only reason I stopped diving with them was that the weight integrated BC was putting too much strain on my shoulders and upper back on beach dives, so I moved back to a weight belt.

Hope this helps!

XSScuba makes double velcroed pouches you can add lead shot to in 1-5 lb sizes.

I bought 7.5 shot, 30 lbs of it for about 30 bucks. Then I used a light jean material and sowed the bags up. If you think ahead a little, you can label the bags with stitching with the amount in side. I got a weight belt from scubatoys.com for $15 and I got about 30 lbs for 45 bucks. Way cheaper than the going rate.

Keep an eye on eBay. I have snagged some good buys on lightly used stuff recently. The trick is finding a seller that knows enough to ship via USPS priority mail in a flat rat box since those do not have weight restrictions. Most have caught on.

I think there is also someone with a running make to order deal at a good price.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom