Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you buy a computer (if you buy a computer) be sure it has a guage mode. Since tech diving involves redundancy you may want to start off with a bottom timer.

I am really saving up for my reg set up, and probably would get a package with an SPG, do you think i should scratch that and just spend the money on a computer, also which kind wrist or air integrated.

Thanks again everyone

I am really saving up for my reg set up, and probably would get a package with an SPG, do you think i should scratch that and just spend the money on a computer, also which kind wrist or air integrated.

Thanks again everyone

You will find people that will advocate both air integrated and non-air integrated. SPG have proven track record of reliablity which is why a lot of tech divers use them. If you do go the air integrated route having a SPG as redundancy is a good idea.

Originally Posted by TigerDiver8

Thank you everyone. Why is gold used in tec diving[?] . . .

But seriously, because gold is denser than lead, you'll need less bulk per unit of negative buoyancy. Thus, you'll be more streamlined, having a smaller weight system.

Plus, if you get into any kind of trouble, your dive buddies will be more than willing to dump your weights for you. Afterwards, you won't have problem finding volunteers to dive to retrieve them.

Gold is excellent for LDS profit margins. ;-)

I am surprised no one mention tungsten yet. It is 19.25g/cm^3, just shine of gold(19.30g/cm^3) in term of density. It should be much less expansive. I am sure H can make some of this for more affordable than gold version.

You will find people that will advocate both air integrated....

Not so many in the tech diving community. Virtually zero.

---------- Post added March 6th, 2013 at 08:52 AM ----------

Wrist computer. You can either opt for a simple recreational computer with gauge mode.... or spend $$$$$ on a full function tech computer. When you start out in tech, you'll probably be diving custom tables anyway...so a basic computer with gauge mode is suffice. Little point spending a wad on full-function tech computer now... by the time you're ready to make full use of it, it will probably be superseded by technological developments anyway..

Mounting the computer on bungees is preferable too. Look at the range of DSS rubber mounts, to get an idea.

I got you all beat.... :amazed:Depleted Uranium control weights... They are from the flight controls of large aircraft... VERY heavy... Can't melt it... Can't machine it.. Hell I beat it with a hammer and can't dent it... I have about 45-50 lbs of it... It would look really cool mounted on a wing... I don't know if you might have trouble with traveling...:idk::rofl3:

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom