Weird experience today - ox tox warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
wrong mix for them depths reason you had promblems in first place , better rethink your mix's and maybe do a review.

First dive 139 fsw, 32% EAN. Kept no deco, turned dive with one minute bottom time.

Second dive, about 45 minutes later 128 fsw, 32% EAN.

wow... let me ask you this, why would you dive those profiles?

you must know that max depth (1.4 ata) for EAN 32 is 110 feet
and contingency (1.6) is 131 feet.

you must also know that oxygen toxicity hits are unpredictable
and can happen with little or no warning.

you then convulse and drown.

why would you want this to happen to you?

dude it was not your time to go with jesus , he gave you another chance use it ,please reread your nitrox manual

Scubaholic, I dont want to be just another person replying to your post by telling you to go read your nitrox book again.

I know many people (myself included) that have taken ppo2 limits WAY above and beyond the reccommended 1.4-1.6 atmppo2 in the past, but we all do stupid things sometimes, the days of deep air diving are gone.

I would not do it now with the knowledge I have gained about the subject.

Passing these limits is nowadays seen more and more as foolhardy, and akin to russian roulette. You may be ok one day, but not the next. It is that unpredictable.

Take care and dont become a statistic.

cancun mark:
I know many people (myself included) that have taken ppo2 limits WAY above and beyond the reccommended 1.4-1.6 atmppo2 in the past, but we all do stupid things sometimes, the days of deep air diving are gone.

I would not do it now with the knowledge I have gained about the subject.

Passing these limits is nowadays seen more and more as foolhardy, and akin to russian roulette. You may be ok one day, but not the next. It is that unpredictable.

Take care and dont become a statistic.

There should not be any debate about this subject - as the US Navy in their Diving Manuals have stated that research has shown that the 1.6 bar limits should apply for managed diving situations and not for untethered divers breathing by a mouthpiece (a maximum of 1.4 bar is preferred).

NOAA, in their Diving Manual (Table 15-2), provide guidance for technical divers to use to manage oxygen toxicity. The upper range of these limits (1.6 bar PO2 for 45 minutes) entail too much risk for untethered divers breathing through a mouthpiece. A maximum of 1.5 bar, or even better 1.4 bar is generally used by these divers. There would be only a few minutes decompression advantage by using 1.6 rather than 1.4.

Reference:
1. Office of Undersea Research: NOAA Diving Manual: Diving for Science and Technology, 4th Edition, Silver Spring, MD, NOAA 2001.

Thanks to those of you who did not respond in a condescending manner. To those of you who responded with comments like “stop diving nitrox” and “my instructor would kill me for diving this profile,” I would advise that your beloved instructor is likely not qualified to carry my lunch bag for me on a dive trip. While there are many people that will write off an experience like this as a “Darwin Award” candidate, those that dive aggressive profiles will appreciate that I can talk about it.

Scubaholic:
I would advise that your beloved instructor is likely not qualified to carry my lunch bag for me on a dive trip. While there are many people that will write off an experience like this as a “Darwin Award” candidate, those that dive aggressive profiles will appreciate that I can talk about it.

Wow
I was jsut a silent reader on this thread for a few days. I'm not sure what you mean by the instructors you refer to "not being fit to hold our lunch"...Are you saying this about them as people or about their diving expertise? I'm not an instructor, so no harm done to me...

However, to say this as sympathetically as I possible can on a cold medium like this, I honestly think your original post seems to suggest at least some gap in knowledge or at least a judgement lapse about Nitrox use, so I fear that the post was destined to attract the kind of responses that might make any poster feel on the defensive.

In short, posting a desription of an incident or problem takes guts on a forum, because it opens you up to a whole spectrum of feedback. Some warm and fuzzy, some not so warm.

My fear is that your last response will certainly not make your plight better.

JAG

There are all types of divers. Some dive for the fun, some to hunt others for work, some for the thrill of pushing the envelop. It would appear, bsed upon your comments that you are in the latter group.

Diving is not an exact science. Well actually it probably is, but the issues is there are just too many variables and we do not yet have all the answers. What was acceptable in the 1940s, we now call unsafe and have the corpses to support that conclusion. As we gain experience, we refine the guidlines and rules.

Bottom line, in the cumulative experience of various diver certification agencies and military dive groups around the world, and your own words, your dive profile was pushing the limits. If you want to do that that is fine, as long as your dive partner agrees. But do understand that from all the evidence, you ducked the bullet, this time with a close O2 Toxicity call. You may not be so lucky next time.

But hey, it is your funeral. But you did ask the group about the hit. You just did not like the answer. Time to check the mirror and smell the coffee. Here is a realated thread about O2 Hits. http://www.scubaboard.com/t57877.html

Scubaholic:
I can't see oxygen toxicity with this scenario, but it got my attention. Does anyone know if DAN would be willing to look at the computerized profiles of the dives?

To those of you who responded with comments like “stop diving nitrox” and “my instructor would kill me for diving this profile,” I would advise that your beloved instructor is likely not qualified to carry my lunch bag for me on a dive trip. While there are many people that will write off an experience like this as a “Darwin Award” candidate, those that dive aggressive profiles will appreciate that I can talk about it.

Lets see:

1. You plan a dive to the ragged edge of Max Operating Depth for your mix;

2. You demonstrate an inability to dive your plan and blow through your MOD;

3. You demonstrate an ignorance of CONVENTID;

4. You're unaware that your PPO > 1.6 and that a 45m SI does not impact residual O2 levels;

5. You state that upon reflection you don't see OxTox being plausible given the circumstances;

6. You're unclear as to why your computer indicated 100% so rapidly;

7. You ask a question after posting the dive profile as to whether DAN would be interested in your computer profiles; and

8. Upon being annoyed with responses you cop an attitude.

I don't care if you think you're Jacques friggin' Cousteau. You drop your pants in public then whine because people point at your butt. If you're going to "dive aggressive profiles" you better become more informed and precise about it.

Scubaholic:
Thanks to those of you who did not respond in a condescending manner. To those of you who responded with comments like “stop diving nitrox” and “my instructor would kill me for diving this profile,” I would advise that your beloved instructor is likely not qualified to carry my lunch bag for me on a dive trip. While there are many people that will write off an experience like this as a “Darwin Award” candidate, those that dive aggressive profiles will appreciate that I can talk about it.

Carefull!
You seem to not know who the people responding to you are, or what diving they have done.

Just because you don't like the answer or the answer makes you angry doesn't mean that there is something wrong with the answer.

Perhaps you can explain to us why so many rec/tech divers who CNS O2 Tox at depth die, and so few commercial divers die (almost none) from O2 tox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom