We're heeeere (Kona)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sauruman

Reaction score
Right, so the work is finally done and the play is underway. My wife and I are now settled in Kona and did the Manta dive last night. Truely awesome. The rest of the week is only looslely planned, but we have a volcano trip and a bunch of shore diving to work in.

Just wondering if any of local (or visiting) Scubaboarders are kicking around and would like to meet up, say, at two step tomorrow. Alternately, if anyone wants to grab a beer or something, we're game.

PS - any recommendations on places to eat? So far we've had so-so luck. BTW - Dukes in Waikiki was great. If anyone is heading to Oahu soon, I would recommend it along with a lunch plate place called Kenekes in Waimanalo was great and cheap too!

Mahalo!

sauruman:
PS - any recommendations on places to eat? So far we've had so-so luck.
Mahalo!
I'm not a big fan of chains, but the lanai up at the Hard Rock cafe is one of the nicest (affordable) dining areas in Central Kailua. Food's ok, but the view and the air are wonderful. And a little dose of rockNroll is always good. Jameson's by the Sea is beautiful for sunset dinners, reserve an outside table, and ask for the side facing the sunset. But the other side has a great view of the bodyboarders, so you can't lose. The reef out in front of the restaurant makes a great shore dive if the surf allows.

Ice cream at Hula Bean Coffee. :07:
Have a wonderful vacation in paradise!
Claudette

I'm glad you are having a nice time. I love the Manta dive!

I wanted to remind you that the volcano is at a high elevation and you should be cautious of your diving because if it. Plan accordingly. Any dive shop can give you the low-down.

Saruman,

I just got back from the Big Island. The night Manta dives were great. The volcano looks like the moon and it took two hours to drive there. We went to Nanapoopoo Road and roasted coffee beans and got to keep them.

Now, my warning for you. I went to a famous SHRIMP restaurant next to Wyland's and will never go there again! The food was okay but they add the 15% service fee (tip) to your bill already so they really don't work for it.

I had 6 adults and two children. A pretty big bill and with good service, I would've been happy to give a nice tip. They didn't earn one penny. I actually had to yell out loud to get my bill because we were just sitting there with a messy table. The sad thing was, we were near one of the cash registers. I could see other waiters and waitresses but God forbid they help a table that wasn't theirs.

I hate to be negative about such a cute little town but I think Bubba is rollin' around in his grave now.

Avoid this spot.

Chris

If you make it to Waimea, definately check out the Waimea Ranch House. Really good food and not as expensive as alot of other places.
The Kamenuela (no idea how to spell it) Provision House at Hilton in Waikoloa has very good food and service, and Huggos on The Rocks has great views and dinner.
Also I hear that Royal Kona Resort has a dinner for two for $50 that includes apps, entree, desert, and a bottle of wine. Heard good things but didn't get to try it. Also Kona Brew Pub for lunch.
Have fun, and I am really jealous. :D

Check out the Keei Cafe for lunch or dinner...Kona Brew Pub for dinner and beer...Coffee Shack for breakfast or lunch. Big Island Grill for a hamburger. Bangkok House for Thai...Kanaka Kava for kava and interesting pupu's. (By the way, kava sucks...but try it anyway.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom