West Marine Scuba Shops-Within-Stores - What to you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope their business plan is based on selling more than a few OW classes, a few sets of gear, and the occasional air fill. That sounds more like a bloop fly ball that goes over the second baseman's head and lands in for a single, rather than a home run.

The OW classes are by far the most profitable segment of this market. Everyone in that class will end up buying more equipment then every other type of class put together. If they can take a big enough share of new OW divers they could put the LDS out of business. I would expect them to offer classes cheaper as well as better deals for their OW divers who buy from them.

The OW classes are by far the most profitable segment of this market. Everyone in that class will end up buying more equipment then every other type of class put together. If they can take a big enough share of new OW divers they could put the LDS out of business. I would expect them to offer classes cheaper as well as better deals for their OW divers who buy from them.

If they would then pick up the HOG/Edge line, they could reshape retail scuba.

Good point. Plus, while that would probably not be sufficient business to warrant opening a new LDS somewhere... the fact that this would all be incremental revenue for a business that is already a going concern probably makes for a pretty good ROI.

I'll be quite surprised if these new stores do much teaching, unless the instructor is a real go-getter. Teaching classes just isn't in the West Marine business model, and I can't imaging any WM store manager with an empty classroom not filling it with perko lights and interlux paint. I wouldn't expect a WM to build a pool on property, and any independent instructor knows that finding a pool suitable for teaching with time available that will actually let scuba students in is near to impossible.

I think this will turn in to a place for a cheap air fill and a place to buy some new regs. Management will not be happy storing a bunch of BCs or giving them any space on the floor. Maybe I'll be surprised.

They're probably going to get in a line of generic gear like IST or some other off brand. How complete the line will be we'll just have to see.
There are some boaters who like to get under their boats to check things when they are in places like Mexico. For that a lot of them have a hookah set they use, or they just freedive. Training and airfills takes it to a whole other level.
West Marine also carries Ocean Kayaks/paddles/seat backs, some clothing, shoes, and a few other things that are not necessarily directly boat related. I don't see the dedicated Kayak shop in town or the outdoor outfitters shop suffering because of it.
I'll bet to start out they will have a reg set and maybe a light kit or two in the front case, a rack of cheap wetsuits with a box compartment display next to it with gloves and booties, and one model of jacket BC somewhere nearby in a few sizes. The off brand split fin will be there too.

I'll be quite surprised if these new stores do much teaching, unless the instructor is a real go-getter. Teaching classes just isn't in the West Marine business model, and I can't imaging any WM store manager with an empty classroom not filling it with perko lights and interlux paint. I wouldn't expect a WM to build a pool on property, and any independent instructor knows that finding a pool suitable for teaching with time available that will actually let scuba students in is near to impossible.

I think this will turn in to a place for a cheap air fill and a place to buy some new regs. Management will not be happy storing a bunch of BCs or giving them any space on the floor. Maybe I'll be surprised.

But they could establish a link with independent instructors. That should be advantageous to both parties and the students.

But they could establish a link with independent instructors. That should be advantageous to both parties and the students.

They have teamed with Mares/SSI. Last I knew, SSI did not allow instructors to be independent, they have to affiliate with a shop. With WM becoming shops, I expect that WM will contract with some SSI instructors and be their affiliate store.

But I agree. It would be advantageous for each party to have independent instructors.

Management will not be happy storing a bunch of BCs or giving them any space on the floor.

West Marine's supply chain should be big enough and fast enough that they would not need to carry much stock beyond display models. They could also have the products sent to the store as need directly from Mares so they would not take up any space in their central warehouse's either.

I like it, a snap shackle was $70.00 in West Marine, we are selling the same one for $45. Oh well guess I been to fair a guy, may the greed set in!!!! BTW what will be the new pricing on air and nitrox fills may be we can get the price up to $30. for a 32 mix and for air may $16 since seems the only way the manufactures and training agencies want small shop to make money. .
Let the fun begin I been in this industry for 40 years and scuba diving always wants to be self defeating!!! I am going to see of I can set up n Home Depot, a gallon of paint and and air fill, woo hoo!!!
The great thing is Home Depot will take anything back, so if I do not use that Tri-mix on the weekend, maybe I can return it for a full refund!!!

---------- Post added October 27th, 2014 at 01:32 PM ----------

Just a quick re-think I forgot Sear and Wards used to sell diving equipment!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom