West Maui diving july 10-15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kinoons

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We’re heading out to the island on Monday, hope to get some shore diving in with my daughter. Planning on mala, the beach off our resort (north of kaanapalai), and maybe honolua bay. All places I’ve dove before, but this will be my daughters first time, and my first without a guide.

Let’s hope the viz is great and the local marine life is feeling friendly for the next week.

Have a great trip and dive safe. For your first dives without a guide, don't feel you need to venture too far. There is always lots to see and explore in a small area and you can enjoy the dive and not stress about navigation.

If helpful, here is a listing of shore dive sites off Maui:

Maui Shore Dive Sites

Have a great trip and dive safe. For your first dives without a guide, don't feel you need to venture too far. There is always lots to see and explore in a small area and you can enjoy the dive and not stress about navigation.

If helpful, here is a listing of shore dive sites off Maui:

Maui Shore Dive Sites

Thanks for the link - this is my 8th or 9th trip to Maui, and I’ve dove each time. The sites I have in mind I’ve been to several times, so I figure those are a good place to start.

We’re hoping to get three 2 tank mornings in before the rest of the family gets moving around 10am.

Tried diving south of airport beach this AM - swell was up way too much for my daughter to feel comfortable.

We went up to honolua bay this afternoon and she loved it. Fairly clear water, flat as always, got to see turtles and lots of fish. A total win.

I think we’re planning on mala Thursday AM.

Went to Mala this AM. Lots of fish, several turtles, couldn’t find the resident white tips.

My daughter didn’t care much for the long walk in and out, especially fighting the current trying to get back in. She was also afraid of the reef and getting snagged.

Looks like we’ll be spending the majority of our time on future dives in protected coves/bays until she gets her confidence up.

One last dive planned for tomorrow AM. We’re going to hit up kapalu bay early. Looks to be just as well protected as honolua.

Kapalua bay was a total hit. My daughter really enjoyed the calm bay, lots of fish and a few eels. No turtles, but that’s okay.

She’s already excited for out next trip out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom