West Palm Diver "run over" by boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cnctina:
that tank will need a new visual and hydro inspection
So will his lower intestinal tract.

Thank God he’s alright, but that’s got to send the pucker factor way high. Wasn’t someone wanting more of an adrenaline rush out of diving?

I am going to have to see if someone like PadiPro wants to build me a U/W Housing for a few of my rifles. Him or maybe even purchase a new one.

Better yet how about a surface to surface tordepo. They must make a smaller one that can be made to be hand deployed.

I think this calls for Hoya's expertise.

So I have to carry a flag so that some boaters might steer somewhat around me.

Carry flares so I can summon help when the boat leaves me.

A VHF radio to call seatow when the boat leaves and does not notice.

Now a short range torpedo to stop incoming boats trying to ram me. Geesh..

Dive alerts work great above the water.
Mine saved my butt a couple of times when a boat was heading toward me. They couldn't see my flag cause they were up wind but they herd the dive alert.

By Deana Poole

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Sunday, July 17, 2005

PALM BEACH — Wesley Scott Murphy remembers hearing the boat.

He remembers knowing he only had a second.

He remembers ducking and the boat's propeller hitting his oxygen tank.

"All I know is my tank exploded," he said from his hospital room Saturday night. "I can't remember much after that."

The 35-year-old man from Houston was hit by a 32-foot SeaVee named Makin' Time, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, which is investigating.

Murphy, in Florida working on the Downtown at the Gardens retail construction project in Palm Beach Gardens, had no broken bones and was in good condition at St. Mary's Medical Center in West Palm Beach on Saturday night. He was taken by Trauma Hawk to the hospital.

At 3:30 p.m., Murphy was scuba diving with two co-workers at a popular spot: the waters off The Breakers resort in Palm Beach. He was out about 30 to 40 minutes, about 100 to 150 yards offshore, in water 7 feet deep, when the accident occurred, he said. He was separated from his friends, who were snorkeling, officials said.

The occupants of the boat, who weren't identified Saturday, turned around and helped take Murphy to shore near the hotel, said Willie Puz, spokesman for the wildlife conservation commission. It's not clear whether they will face charges.

Palm Beach Police Capt. Keith Robinson said Murphy had bruises and back pain.

The U.S. Coast Guard, responding to initial reports of two people missing, also had dispatched a helicopter and two boats to the scene.

"I was told there was a diving point out there," Murphy said. "We went out to check it out."

The waters off the resort attract many visitors. The Breakers Reef was named among the Top Five, Favorite Drift Dive in the United States by Rodale's Scuba Diving in 1995. The reef is 40 to 60 feet below the surface.

Investigators are trying to determine whether a diver-down flag was displayed. State law requires scuba divers and snorkelers to display a red flag with a white diagonal stripe whenever in the water.

Boaters are required to make reasonable attempts to stay 300 feet away from the flags in open waters.

Divers and snorkelers are supposed to stay within 300 feet of their flags.

Puz encouraged boaters to stay alert and divers to display the diver-down flag.

"Some people think that they're close to shore and it doesn't pertain to them," Puz said. "But it is necessary."

Lil38:
I've never toted the dive flag in my group. Is it difficult? I guess it causes some drag? Would it be too much to tote if it were larger? I don't mean re-design the dive flag colors or anything. I'm just thinkin' more visible- or would that even matter. (CBulla- please tell me this yanking isn't routine! :11: ) Maybe the addition of day-glo colored flag on taller stick? I dunno, only had 6 ocean dives so far... no problems of any nature (lucky us!) I did think to myself tho... I don't know how the crew can see those flags so well. They get old, discolored, beat up etc. but it's the crew's job and they keep an eye on them from the moment they leave the boat. I know there are inconsiderate boaters. I just have to believe for the most part, this happens because the flags aren't very visible.

I've been the flag toter for most of the dives I've been on. I find it keeps me focused on the group and I dont lose my buddy that way. It's not really noticable that your toting a flag unless its really windy out.

The flag grab and yank bit is pretty common on the East coast. I have pictures of Marine Patrol hitting dive flags, then yanking the flags and/or revving their engines over the divers.

CBulla:
I've been the flag toter for most of the dives I've been on. I find it keeps me focused on the group and I dont lose my buddy that way. It's not really noticable that your toting a flag unless its really windy out.

The flag grab and yank bit is pretty common on the East coast. I have pictures of Marine Patrol hitting dive flags, then yanking the flags and/or revving their engines over the divers.

For what reason? There had better be a good one. If they did it to me for no good reason they would have one Very P off diver on there hands

Colin actually has a pretty awesome little snap shot of a boat almost clipping a dive flag... Oh wait a minute, wasn't that Marine Patrols boat Colin :laughing:

I agree that as divers, we can only do so much. Like I said before though, almost never do I see a diver even glance up when they surface (this is coming from diving 2 trips Mon-Thur and 4 trips Fri-Sun so I have a pretty good balance on things happening with our local divers). I sometimes get asked why they need to have at least 500psi when getting back on the boat.. Well duh, if you sucked your tank down to say less than 100psi and had a boat coming straight out you....... well you get the point.

I think Colin should build us a flashing large dive flag, after the speedos, my confidence lies with him to draw attention.... hehehehehe

Perhaps he could have his old avatar silk-screened, fly that below the main diver-down flag -- should keep the boats away :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom