Western NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

engine159

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anyone have any ideas for places somewhat close to Rochester, NY to do a simple shore dive? I want to take my son this summer, he's very new to diving and I'm not exactly Mr. Experience. He's twelve, so I can only take him to 40 feet I believe. Thanks.

I always wondered about these:

1653774567931.png

Probably not good...

Near shore, it's slower, swim out a ways and it is the fast lane. Dives are 40 mins to over an hour. Max depth is 25 feet maybe. You just ride the current. It is up to a 3 kt (out offshore) and at that speed you don't (can't) stop. Very enjoyable, and very organized. I'd suggest maybe trying it yourself to evaluate it for your son. Lots of fish, and lots of junk. Always finding bottles and old buttons.

Great info. Thanks. Now for the dumb question...The parts of the Niagara River that I've seen are ferocious. What are the chances of getting "swept away"?

Nope - the dive is along Isle View Park:

1653825815984.png

In all my years of doing this drift, there have been only a few who didn't pay attention to time and overshot the exit. We call it the walk of shame returning up the bike path...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom