wet suit allergy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandyjo

Reaction score
hi all!

I'm brand new to diving (and love it)! Just returned from Playa del Carmen. I completed my certification there. Unfortunately, I appear to be experiencing a servere allergic reaction to the wetsuit. Anyone hear of this? Any suggestions?

thanks,

sandy

Yeah, you are probably allergic to the rubber in the neoprene. SOme of my students have been allergic to that as well. The only thing I know of to do is to avoid neoprene. You can instead use a lycra suit or a trilaminate from Henderson. As for the booties, wear a lycra sock to help isolate your skin from the neoprene. That may help. However, I once had a student that got so sick and had a painful rash all over her from wearing a neoprene jumpsuit just one night in the pool. SO, you might not want to use neoprene again. I dont know of any kind of cure or anything to help the allergy. Maybe someone else has some insight into this allergy. GOOD LUCK!!!

thanks for the reply! During my classes (in the pool), we didn't use the wetsuits. But, in Mexico, I wore one every day for 4 straight days. The rash started out slowly but by yesterday night I was in such misery with rash on every part of my body that was exposed to the suit. I'm now on high dose steroids and anti-histamines and it's starting to go away....

I'm headed to the dive shop tomorrow for more advice

sandy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom