Wet Suit Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shooter Mike

Reaction score
Okay, just bought the rest of my gear this weekend. I bought a Pinnacle 3 mil farmer john type wetsuit. My question is this, our water temp over here through the summer months stays in the lower to mid 80's - should I use the top with the long sleeves or should I use the bottoms with the full length legs and no sleeves? It's been nearly 10 years since I've been down under and I should be getting back in the water in the next week or two.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Personally, I would have opted for a full suit. Sometimes the FJ style can give you grief about being able to balance comfort due to exposure of limbs/ partial torso versus two layers on torso. I have been much more comfortable since going to fullsuit.

Anyway, it will be a trial and error type of deal. You may find that wearing the jacket works to keep your upper body warm and since your legs are working and getting plenty of blood flow, they will be warm even though exposed. On the other hand, you may be more like me that your torso will tend to overheat if it doesn't get exposure in mid-80 degree water.

When I dive mid-80's, I usually just wear a dive skin, but I'm also in Colorado lakes a lot where it's usually mid-60's and below.

You'll probably just have to try each way and even modify based on the day's and site's conditions.

I agree with the previous post. I also agree that you are probably wearing too much either way. I have never worn more than a 0.5 mm suit at that temperature, and I have never felt chilled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom