Wetsuit - FJ and Jacket vs. Full Suit and Hooded Vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am going to be purchasing a new wet suit and am not sure if I should get the 2 piece farmer john and jacket or a full suit with a hooded vest/core warmer. Any one have any experience with these two types that can give me their opinion?

I dive in Canada so normally cold fresh water. Temperatures range from low 40's to mid 70's. Last year I rented the 7 mil FJ and Jacket at the beginning of the season and mid to late season wore only one of either pieces.

A dry suit is cost prohibitive right now so that is not an option.

The fj and jacket give you more options, than a full suit. However, I'd guess you would rarely wear just the fj or just the jacket. For warmth, they are about equal. That is, there is less thickness with the full suit, but since it is one piece, there is less water flow. The advantage of the full suit is that less material means less lead to carry.

I wear a hooded vest with a 7 mm farmer john. My coldest dive in it last season (my first full scuba season) was 50 degrees. Buoyant, yes, but comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom