Wetsuit for bahamas in jan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midwayman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Going to be diving at grand bahama this january. Any reccomendations as to what wetsuit I should bring with me? typically use 3/2 in the carribean, but this is middle of winter, and outer islands.....

GF needs to buy one as well. I was thinking a 3mm farmer jane setup as it would be flexible, but she gets cold fairly easily and dont want her freezing.

I used a 3 mil shorty when I went to Honduras in Jan. I got cold mid dive almost everytime even though it was sunny. I also get cold very easily. You are more up north so the farmer jane might be good as it will keep everything covered but not overheat you or your girl on the dive.

o wow. I am goin to Nassau, Bahamas Jan too. I am bringing a 3/2 farmer jane. i think it enuf. hope to c u there.

I think that the water temp in the Bahamas in January is typically around 71 degrees F (give or take). Depends on the type of water you're used to. Since I'm from S. Florida and lived in the Carib, that's about the coldest water I'd want to dive. So I'd be more comfortable in a 3/2 long suit. My wife, who would probably consider anything below hot tub temp a bit too cold :shakehead , wouldn't dive it unless she was in a dry suit or submarine :no . But most get away with wearing a 3mm shorty.

I just got back from Grand Bahama Island and the water was 81 deg. I was warm enough wearing a 3mm wetsuit and a beenie. Last March I dove on Grand Bahama and the water was 75 deg. I wore my 7mm and 5mm hood, and was glad to have them. If you're diving multiple consecutive days, I think you would want to have at least a thick suit.

With which dive op are you diving?

Mike

Grand Bahama is 3mm shortie to 3mm full depending on how easily you get cold in the winter. Being that you'll be comming from a pretty cold place, the water will seem real warm.

Why risk being chilled? Bring a full 3 and you won't have to worry.

In Jan 05, I was on the Aqua Cat which leaves from Nassau and heads south through the Exumas. We had temps ranging from 66-70 F (maybe an oddity). For multiple dive days I was comfortable in a 5/4. My wife added a hooded vest to a 5/4 and was ok but would have preferred her 7.There was one couple onboard who wore 3mm shorties all week.

I am used to warm water so when I dive in 70ish temps I wear a full 3mm suit and a hooded vest of another 3mm.

TOM

Back
Top Bottom