Wetsuits for monterey-Bare Arctic SGS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

capybara

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, We'd like to start diving in Monterey and want to get wetsuits that fit and keep us warm and are easy to put on. We're thinking of getting the Bare Arctic SGS 7 mm fullsuits. Has anyone used these for similar temps? I want to get a SGS hooded vest to put on top. Are these easy to get on and off? It took three of us to get me out of the Henderson hooded vest I tried on because there's no zipper! My husband doesn't like to be constricted so he says he will only wear a Henderson 7/5 Hyperstretch hood but no vest. Will he freeze? If he puts a 3 mm Hyperstretch corewarmer over the fullsuit will this be enough? Should I just let him go out in the fullsuit and hood and then he will buy the 7 mm vest after he dives once? Are the water temps similar in Catalina and Monterey? Thanks for your advice!

Waz up CapyBara,
I had the Henderson 7/5 gold and it isn't good for cold water, I currently have the Bare Alpine(2005 model of Artic). Very warm and easy to put on. Divetank.com has it for $229 w/ boots included.

Monterey is colder than Catalina. I would think a suit with an integrated hood at the minimum or dry suit, especially for the winter.

SoCalOffshore:
Monterey is colder than Catalina. I would think a suit with an integrated hood at the minimum or dry suit, especially for the winter.

Yup and the Alpine has the intergrated hood, good substitute for a drysuit.

SoCalOffshore:
Pinnacle makes a great semi dry suit with integrated hood.

Yea I wanted to see one but I can't find any store that has them, do you know anysites???

I have the Bare 7mm Arctic fullsuit and 7mm Arctic hooded vest, not SGS. I have used it diving with trout in Colorado to about 45 degree for up to 90 minutes. While my fingers and toes were getting cool by the end, they weren't reall cold and my body temp was fine.

I've dove the same area with the 7mm fullsuit and 3mm hooded vest and didn't last but about 45 minutes and had the shivers.

Beings that I'm always the only one diving in a wetsuit when everyone else is drysuit, it takes a lot to get me cold.

I wish I had gone with the SGS as I understand they are more flexible/stretchy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom