Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For most summer diving (in tropical places)

Is a 2 mm shorty better

or 3mm full suit?

In my experience, 2 mm shorty over skins is fine for 77 degree & warmer temps........ also bought a chicken hood(~$20) a couple years ago to supplement the 'cooler' days.......IMO a 3/2 full would be too much(ie I have one but NEVER bring it down south).....

I dive only warm water. I personally would rather dive a thin full suit (0.5 - 1 mm), than a shorty. I primarily don't wear the suit for thermal protection (because I don't really need it), but as a bit of physical/external protection against jellyfish and similar stuff. For ME a 3mm full suit would be overkill in warm water (25C and better) and for the kind of dives I do (max abt 75 mins). YMMV.

It depends on how warm the water is and how easily you get cold. Even in tropical places there are areas of cold current. Here in Thailand, I typically wear a full 2/3 in water 28° and warmer. Partly for the reasons Blox gives--protection from stingies in the water--but also partly for thermal protection. Those of us who dive a lot seem to become fairly intolerant of heat loss in the water. I can remember when, as an OW diver I also wore a 0.5mm neoprene skin in 25° water. These days in water that temperature, I'm in a 5mm. I take my 5mm to Bali for some of the "cooler" water dives, and typically dive Hawaii (21° to 25° when I've been there) in a 7mm. All those places are tropical.

It depends on how warm the water is and how easily you get cold. Even in tropical places there are areas of cold current. Here in Thailand, I typically wear a full 2/3 in water 28° and warmer. Partly for the reasons Blox gives--protection from stingies in the water--but also partly for thermal protection. Those of us who dive a lot seem to become fairly intolerant of heat loss in the water. I can remember when, as an OW diver I also wore a 0.5mm neoprene skin in 25° water. These days in water that temperature, I'm in a 5mm. I take my 5mm to Bali for some of the "cooler" water dives, and typically dive Hawaii (21° to 25° when I've been there) in a 7mm. All those places are tropical.

You might want to point out that these temperatures are Celsius and not Fahrenheit.

for me 79 is the break point for me. below, 3mm full suit, above 3mm shorty. If that helps

You might want to point out that these temperatures are Celsius and not Fahrenheit.

I think most people would assume that, since 21°F water is called ICE in most places!

:D

Boy thats a good question its all base on how cold you get. I have a 2mm shorty and a 3mm full and a skin for warm water. I hardly ever wear the 3mm full.

IMO-- A 3mil full suit is much better for a number of reasons.

Back
Top Bottom