whale kills person

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting into a small boat and weaving between creatures who have no way to know what you are going to do, nor does the boat have any idea of when, where and how said creatures will surface is just as not smart.

not popular, but the truth sometimes hurts.

Assuming this is the website for the company she used they are small inflatable boats, maybe 20' long.

How does ANYONE think that getting into a tiny boat and chasing whales is a good thing?!?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
It says that she was hit by the tail. So a life vest may or may not have mattered. Allthough I agree with it being a good idea to have one on.
I guess I missed that in the story I read. I think there have been various reports, and who knows...?? :idk:

Tragic for all involved but how many of us wear a PFD when on a boat pre/post diving? Locally the operators insist on PFD's for snorkelling trips but I have never seen divers wearing them at home or when travelling.
I do. Or a snorkel vest anyway, as real PFDs may well be onboard but it's such a hassle to get one from the crew. I'm wearing it when the boat picks me up at the dock Cozumel style. It may be good for laughs, but they don't laugh in my face anyway. I wear it on moving liveaboards, etc. It's a damned good idea

DandyDon wears one.
And a PLB in my car anytime it leaves the house, except it was in my backpack for a few days hiking with family and exchange students in Big Bend this week.

I've never seen a diver with a pfd on a boat to/from a dive site.

I've never seen a diver with a pfd on a boat to/from a dive site.
Scuba Steve in st Lucia. Boat does not head out until all crew and guests have one on when I dove with them in February.
They had them ready to hand out as you boarded. Quick brief on donning/doffing and we were off to the Pitons.
I will never turn down safety. I am a proficient swimmer but it only takes one bump on the head etc etc
My $0.02

Scuba Steve in st Lucia. Boat does not head out until all crew and guests have one on when I dove with them in February.
They had them ready to hand out as you boarded. Quick brief on donning/doffing and we were off to the Pitons.
I will never turn down safety. I am a proficient swimmer but it only takes one bump on the head etc etc
My $0.02
What? A boat full of Dandy Dons? Please tell me that can not be!

Leaving the Harbour in Cabo San Lucas you must wear one.

What? A boat full of Dandy Dons? Please tell me that can not be!
Not sure if its a shot or not, Dont get the reference.
I have intubated, pushed meds and done cpr on more people than I care to count that were too cool for safety equipment.

Remember.... Never do anything you dont want to explain to your Paramedic :)
Cheers

Not sure if its a shot or not, Dont get the reference.
I have intubated, pushed meds and done cpr on more people than I care to count that were too cool for safety equipment.

Remember.... Never do anything you dont want to explain to your Paramedic :)
Cheers
Not a shot. More of a subtle homage. I have this very poor habit of expecting everyone to be able to read my opaque malfunctioning mind.

To me, Don is this wacked out, overly nervous, safety obsessed guy. The Don Knotts of the diving world? His fervent & clear postings are simple to understand. I have learned much. He also introduced me to the neat concept of personal EPIRBS. I just might buy one real soon now that they have become very small...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom