Whale Shark Research Info from the Ga Aquarium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trixxie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
New Data from Whale Shark Research Research funded by the Georgia Aquarium tracked whale sharks diving to a mile deep and swimming more than 4,500 kilometers (2,835 miles) in just 150 days. That’s 30 km (18.9 miles) per day! Satellite tags were placed on several whale sharks off the coast of Mexico as a part of Project Domino, a collaboration of Mote Marine Laboratory, Georgia Aquarium and Mexican researchers. In the five years since the project began, the whale sharks that were tracked stayed in the Gulf of Mexico. Recently, a satellite tag returned data showing a whale shark that had traveled halfway to Africa.

Another satellite tag tracked a different whale shark that dove down below the mile-deep mark, another first for science. Why whale sharks dive deep or travel great distances is not fully understood. The Georgia Aquarium is participating in Project Domino to try to build a better understanding of the natural history of whale sharks in their native habitats. The whale sharks at the Georgia Aquarium help researchers in the field by providing a base understanding of whale shark growth rates, blood analysis and more. Because the whale sharks at the Georgia Aquarium are provided food and reside in a climate-controlled environment, they do not need to migrate.

Georgia Aquarium researchers are also taking samples from the coast of Mexico to understand the nutritional make-up of the plankton in the water that brings hundreds, if not thousands, of whale sharks there every summer to feed. At the same time, researchers from Mexico, partially funded by the Georgia Aquarium, are tagging hundreds of whale sharks in an effort to expand the boundaries of a marine national park and protect the feeding grounds of whale sharks and manta rays.

The work and funding of the Georgia Aquarium in Mexico is just one of many ways the Aquarium is working to protect and expand the scientific understanding of aquatic animals in their native habitats.

About Whale Shark Conservation Until recently, aggregations of whale sharks off Belize and Mexico were not well known. Seeing a whale shark in the ocean was so rare that even well-known oceanographers such as Dr. Sylvia Earle and Philippe Cousteau did not see their first whale shark until coming to an aquarium.

The Georgia Aquarium is committed to advancing the scientific community’s understanding of whale sharks and growing public awareness of whale sharks as an ambassador species for sharks. By housing whale sharks, the Aquarium is able to participate in ground-breaking scientific research and educate millions of people about the animals, both of which encourage and promote the conservation of the species.

Education – By having whale sharks in the Georgia Aquarium, we raise awareness of the species, and encourage our guests to be stewards of the oceans.

* Our interpreters have introduced nearly five million people face to face to whale sharks.
* Our educators have taught nearly 100,000 students for the first time about whale sharks.
* Our team has reached out through national and international media to teach hundreds of millions of people about whale sharks, many learning about the species for the first time.
* Our Seafood Savvy program gives our guests the tools to make environmentally responsible decisions when eating seafood.
* In cooperation with the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine, the Georgia Aquarium’s Correll Center for Aquatic Animal Health is a veterinary teaching hospital advancing the understanding and care of aquatic animals.

Groundbreaking Research –Procedure By studying whale sharks in the Georgia Aquarium, we establish a baseline understanding of these animals that facilitates the management of native populations around the world.

* Georgia Aquarium was the first facility to perform routine physical examinations on whale sharks. Our first whale shark blood sampling establishes a baseline understanding of this species’ blood.
* In cooperation with other research facilities, we are advancing the scientific community’s understanding of the anatomy of whale sharks. Already, we know their food filtration systems are more complicated than anything seen previously in fish or the other two species of filter-feeding sharks. The Aquarium and its research partners are working to publish groundbreaking discoveries in scientific journals.
* In order to advance the care of sharks, the Georgia Aquarium husbandry and veterinary team traveled to Asia, learning from other facilities caring for whale sharks and sharing with them what we have learned.
* Field research conducted and funded by the Georgia Aquarium off the coast of the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico is advancing understanding of behavior, feeding patterns and nutritional requirements of whale sharks.
* The Georgia Aquarium is working in conjunction with researchers in Mexico and Taiwan, as well as Mote Marine Laboratory, to track whale sharks with visual and satellite tags. To date, more than 550 whale sharks have been tagged, increasing our understanding of their natural history.
* The Georgia Aquarium is working with field researchers to understand how to develop whale shark health assessments in native populations.

Conservation and the Future – In the long term, our whale shark program can help to better understand the species and work toward its long term survival in the oceans.

* Marine animal breeding behaviors are mostly understood through work in zoological facilities. We hope to better understand the reproductive biology of whale sharks over the coming years.
* Funding and support of research at the Georgia Aquarium and field research programs continue to build on an already extensive program.
* Sharks around the world are being depleted at alarming rates due to overfishing, primarily through by-catch and fishing for shark fin soup. Whale sharks are gentle giants, the flagship species of sharks, helping public perception get away from the man-eating Hollywood portrayal of sharks and creating an understanding of sharks as worth saving.

I got the newsletter in my email earlier. I was trying to imagine what route a whale shark would take from the gulf of mexico to "halfway to africa". I wonder if that meant a trip to the mid-atlantic ridge and a return?

sounds like it - maybe hanging out at the lesser Antilles?

I just finished an expedtion of visual tagging of juvenile whale sharks with the SRI. Whale sharks follow food, and the young sharks like to congregate in the Sea of Cortez based on the type of plankton in the area. Pregnant female whale sharks feed near the Isla of Socorro and we will be SAT tagging them in December. We do not know where they go to drop pups and hopefully this will clue us into their behaviors. We also did DNA sampling to determine if they are global families or regional. SAT tags have given much information and we do know that these sharks can go to great depths well over a mile. Like many species of shark, they are highly migratory. There is still so little we know, but continued research will get us closer to that end. What we do know is they have few predators and man is winning since Taiwan is still openly fishing them.

Happy diving and protecting my sharks!
Carolyn:sharks:

Facts before fiction. As of 1Jan08 the quota for whale sharks that are allowed to enter the fishing ports/Taiwan for the purpose of being eaten is ZERO.

Thank you for your information. I just finished checking the data on the ban. Now if we can get them to stop finning the rest of the sharks, they might have a fighting chance.

They got around the ban in one case by calling the whale shark "a giant catfish".

It's going to be like that for alot of these bans. Next it will be they FIN them only. I do hope things improve when more people realize, especially the people that consume fins, how devastating the whole practice is.

The current bans shouldn't stop us from demading their continued protection and conservation.

Well, let me backpedal on that one. It might have been the mainland, I'd have to dig up where I found it months back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom